Pizzicato, a 200W low distortion CFA amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pizzicato, a 250W low distortion CFA amplifier

It is a CFA power amp Diamond input with gain, Cascode input & VAS, driver, Power Laterals MOSFETS.
250W under 8 Ohms, 500W under 4 Ohms.
Very low simulated Distortion (Cordel models) : 0.000020% @ 1KHz, 0.000508% @ 10K. (Simulated @250W)
It was published here to be a collaborative project.
The attachments in this post is the raw project, a development start, just to propose a frame: You will see the changes and improvements in the definitive version.

[edit] The definitive version is in post #428
Pizzicato #428

250W under 8 Ohms, 500W under 4 Ohms.

Bandwidth, without low pass input filter: 10MHz (-3dB)*
Phase margin: 60°, gain margin: 13dB.*
Slew-rate*: 240V/µs (*to be adjusted on the bench)
Loop Gain >100dB up to >1KHz.
0.000002% à 1W 8Ohms 1000Hz
0.000010% @100W
0.000020% à250W

DC coupled with optional added error correction, original Servo, very fast protection(25µs) against DC, internal failure, clipping, oscillation etc that will protect both amp and speakers.
The protection is in Post 378.
Pizzicato, #378

This version (V) is treated like a VFA, but keep the "expansive" behavior of a CFA and high slew rate. May-be a more traditional CFA version (C), with a flat loop up to 10KHZ will come to can figure out if any listening difference. And get an idea of the thresholds of audibility of distortion, if loop gains makes a difference on the amp's character and listening experience etc.
787499d1570966205-pizzicato-200w-low-distortion-cfa-amplifier-pizzi-def-disto-gif

787498d1570966205-pizzicato-200w-low-distortion-cfa-amplifier-pizzi-schema-gif

Attachments

• def-CFA-schema.gif
    def-CFA-schema.gif
    64.4 KB · Views: 3,905
  • def-CFA-hd1000.gif
    def-CFA-hd1000.gif
    47 KB · Views: 3,802
  • def-CFA-hd10k.gif
    def-CFA-hd10k.gif
    41.7 KB · Views: 3,484
  • pizzicato.zip
    5.7 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
Hmm, I wonder what stabilizes Q1 and Q5 currents, aren't they going to need to be in
thermal contact with the input pair to keep some sort of control there?

With a real power supply under load the ripple is going to switch the 68V zeners (1N5373's) on and off causing maybe a lot more noise than if the zener stage was just an RC filter? Also isn't the 68V zener stage dropping valuable voltage from the drivers and lowering headroom?

I'd suggest modelling an AC fed rectifier and supply filter caps and see how things pan out.

Hmm, I wonder what stabilizes Q1 and Q5 currents, aren't they going to need to be in
thermal contact with the input pair to keep some sort of control there?
What about a That300 ?
With a real power supply under load the ripple is going to switch the 68V zeners (1N5373's) on and off causing maybe a lot more noise than if the zener stage was just an RC filter?
Also isn't the 68V zener stage dropping valuable voltage from the drivers and lowering headroom?
You have spotted my laziness at first sight. The power supply is supposed to go up to 75V, but I did not have models for 2sk135 ;-)
I took the closest zener available in one click in LTSPICE: it does not even reach its voltage: 65V. Juste there for the shema ;-). It will be time to graze a few watts later. Just I want to stay under the saturation of the power stage for quality of clipping more than trying to grab some watts for the beauty of the numbers ;-) They drop some 5V by themselves, right ?
I'd suggest modelling an AC fed rectifier and supply filter caps and see how things pan out.
You had noticed I had not simed the PSSR yet. It is on my to-do list.
All good points, thank-you, Mark.

Disabled Account
Joined 2015
What makes CFA amplifiers sound higher definition is the possibility of having higher open loop frequency response . 20khz is very common . You have adjusted it as a VFA op amp of only few hertz.
K135/j49 have been replaced by k1058/j164. Spice models are available.

Last edited:
Hmm, violates Cordell's rule of thumb for maximum safe ratio of (watts_into_8R / output_device_pairs). You've got (200 / 2) = 100 watts per pair.

Maybe you know something Cordell does not.
It is a TO3, 75W @ 50° and you can add two more if you like, the buffer will not cry. While I doubt you will build this one once finished.
I agree it can look acrobatic, but it is not for a home hifi system correctly cooled.

One of my amps that works with no failure since *30 years* use the 2 same Hitachi power devices (2sK135 & 2sJ60) with +-75V . And at least two very successful kits from elector, if I remember well ? Raison why...
The other reason is I made this study to can compare two Amps not so different, the VFA I own, VS this one while I have some of those Hitachi left..

An other thing is, with 100mA each of quiescent and four of them, lot of heat and expensive cooler.
May-be you read too much books and not experience enough in real life ?
But, I guess you just write that to be unpleasant in your usual style, is not it ?
This said, thanks for the advice, I will add a warning.

Last edited:
What makes CFA amplifiers sound higher definition is the possibility of having higher open loop frequency response . 20khz is very common . You have adjusted it as a VFA op amp of only few hertz.
It is an interesting subject. But I'm not sure. I Made decades ago, a work of comparison IRL. My conclusion (subject to change) was it was not so much the OLG or the ultra high slew rate than the "current on demand" that, probably, makes the character's difference (If any ;-). Who knows. Here, I was mainly focused on distortions. And, I agree, at the end, a little disappointed by the slew rate on the paper: We will see in the listening room.
Thanks for the tip about available transistors: Like many old guys, I use the ones I have left or I know;-)

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
As I inherited a convolute of NOS 2SK135/J50 I decided to design a laboratory reference amp. Like you I am squeezing the circuitry with LTSpice for max bandwidth and min THD. Btw I found some enlighting hints in Douglas Selfs Audio Amplifier Design Handbook.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
For better power supply rejection blocking caps C14/15 should not be tied to gnd, but to the corresponding supply rails.
Miller caps should not end at power out, but at the collector of the VAS. This avoids stability issues caused by the output devices.
Considering stability in the critical range of 10~30MHz there must be some room for improvement - for instance driving the gate with an emitter follower without gate resistor is sub optimal.
Limiting gate voltage at the emitter outputs may destroy these BJTs and the zener when overdriven.

Last edited:
What about a That300 ?
Would need cascoding as only 36V rated, but why not use a stabler circuit topology that tolerates device variation?
You have spotted my laziness at first sight. The power supply is supposed to go up to 75V, but I did not have models for 2sk135 ;-)
I took the closest zener available in one click in LTSPICE: it does not even reach its voltage: 65V. Juste there for the shema ;-). It will be time to graze a few watts later. Just I want to stay under the saturation of the power stage for quality of clipping more than trying to grab some watts for the beauty of the numbers ;-) They drop some 5V by themselves, right ?
If you want regulated rails, you'll need a lot of headroom to cover high current peaks. Most people conclude regulation is wasted effort for a (non class-D) power amp's rails, filtering wastes less voltage and solves the problem that needs solving. With MOSFETs you already lose a lot of volts, no point adding to this.

You had noticed I had not simed the PSSR yet. It is on my to-do list.
All good points, thank-you, Mark.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.