Can amp connect to 2 pairs of speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello to all,

I thought I will post this question to 'speakers department', but it is more about amp :) Can I connect one extra pair of speakers to amp? So there will be 2 pairs of 6ohm speakers on one terminal pair.
In other words: I want nice "wide and extended" stereo only. My amp has terminals for speakers A and speakers B. So I have 2 pairs connected already - one pair in A, second in B, but I want connect another pair to A. I want 3 pairs of 6ohm speakers total. :D So in A terminals 2 pairs. Is it OK to connect it like that?

Perhaps silly question but... I would like to know it :rolleyes:
You know, I don't want my amp to burn out... or whatever can happen.
Thanks for help!

Milan

Joined 2011
Yeees, all 3 pairs will be ON at the same time!
Specs are saying: Dynamic Power per Channel
(by IHF Dynamic Headroom measuring method)
8/6/4/2 ohms..........................95/117/140/200W

The rating of only "dynamic headroom" of 200W @ 2 ohms suggests that
it may be safe to use all the speakers simultaneously, though the amplifier
could be straining if run at high volumes. Otherwise it should be ok.

Driving 2 ohms resistive is easier than 2 ohms of speakers (which are less than 2 ohms at some frequencies, and reactive at some frequencies).

This is likely to really push your amp hard, harder than the manufacturer built it for, if you push the volume level up - so I'd say keep it low if poss.

I believe for wide extended stereo you should build a pair of better speakers and sell the ones you have if you cannot reuse some of the parts. My experience is that playing stereo on two pairs just doesnt sound right. Usually the do ballance eachother out in some areas where it will sound better, but then something othergets off? in another. I think its possible to build or buy an extender? or spacialyzer? to widen stereoperspective

Conecting two sets in series will be much safer if you want to try it. If it plays too low it probably means that connecting in paralel would ruin the amp. Series would give you 12 ohm nominal, but probably much lower minimum impedance. Some Yamahas has adjusments in submenu for impedance, but not for 3 ohms or less

From the illustration on page 4 of the manual linked in post# 3, notice the writing under the speaker connections:

Attachments

• Yamaha.jpg
    Yamaha.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 57
Yamaha AX-10 is very good amp with nice sound and all 3 Yamaha speaker pairs which I have has good sound. I just want to be surrounded by speakers, to be "in the sound".
Now I have two pairs connected (A+B) and I will keep it like that, your recommendation has the priority ;) Thank you very much guys for advices.

And because I like soldering amps, I decided to build VHEX+ amp. I guess NOW each speaker should has own amp module/block.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.