What would be your ultimate Sansui amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have had several Sansui receivers and amplifiers. An 881, 8 Deluxe, 9090, AU-70, AU-111, AU-7900, AU-9500, AU-11000A, BA, CA 2000. For the last few months I have been listening with an AU-9500 modified with VZaudio’s “Tribute 3000” driver boards and modern outputs. So all pre 1978.Revisiting some "old" ideas from 1970's - IPS, OPS
Favorites are the 881 and my current modified AU-9500. I would be happy with a stock 9500 though.

I have an AU 4900, one of the little ones and also of the 70's :)
My favorite is the AU 717
The one that disappointed me was the AU 9900, excellent construction, but its performance at low frequencies was not the best...

I mention this because we compared it with a PA amplifier of similar power and the hyper-regulated source of the 9900 could not compete against a conventional PSU, that is, only a transformer and filters generously dimensioned .... it seems that the speed of the transients is affected by the excessive circuitry of the Sansui source

YouTube

YouTube

Sansui AU-9900 - Manual - Integrated Stereo Amplifier - HiFi Engine

I've only got the one, so it would have to be my AU-717. I've had it and the TU-717 since 1977. Still have the original boxes, rack handles, audio cables, and manuals. I'm currently restoring the amp, having just finishing re-capping the power and protection circuits. It wasn't coming out of power protection on startup.

I'd still like to try the CA-3000 / BA-5000 combo, though.

AU-D11 MkII .... Balanced amp without op amps. Just Diamond diff. with toshiba JFET inputs.

THD - 0.0028% @ full output -
Freq Resp. - DC to 300kHz

Build quality could be better, but the sound is very hard to beat. Lots of oomp but balanced. It strangely relaxing and enjoyable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.