Lateral CFA 120W - BSA

According to the BOM from post#1, shouldn't R45 =550R(560)/8W be made of 4 resistors with 560R/2W . The layout shows two parallel resistors in series and the BOM says this should be done by 4x1,1k /2W resistors.

Günni

Yes, you are correct. For ClassB there should be four 560R 2W resistors and for ClassA two of 1k1 2W resistors are enough, but if you want to combine ClassA and ClassB in the same amp (like active speakers) then use four 560R resistor even for ClassA.
I will edit BOM accordingly and will put correction note in first post.

Damir

Hi to ALL and two questions.

1. How much phase shift at 20 kHz, at 1 watt.

2. Can you make a THD+N graph like this? Rotel A11.

55394-musical-fidelity-m2si-audiocompl-LAB3.jpg

That is very good, Damir, outstanding...... there is some belief that low phase shift maintains image integrity at very high frequencies, but there are other influences I believe.

I have a feeling that the very curvy transfer function at very low drain currents on latfets leave to the inactive device in AB remains on for longer than hexfets, which turn off around 2-4V off crossover even at higher bias quiescent. This might explain a smoother sound, less harshness, with latfets. With high Iq is might be as high at 15V above and below crossover, and this means a lot of headroom in Class A.

Thoughts?

Hugh

That is very good, Damir, outstanding...... there is some belief that low phase shift maintains image integrity at very high frequencies, but there are other influences I believe.

I have a feeling that the very curvy transfer function at very low drain currents on latfets leave to the inactive device in AB remains on for longer than hexfets, which turn off around 2-4V off crossover even at higher bias quiescent. This might explain a smoother sound, less harshness, with latfets. With high Iq is might be as high at 15V above and below crossover, and this means a lot of headroom in Class A.

Thoughts?

Hugh

Hugh, you have much more experience in the way to recognize what makes smother less harsh sound, and you are probably right.
I am more on engineering side, with much less listening experience.
Damir

Feedback

Aksa Lender P-mos Hybrid Aleph (ALPHA) Amplifier

by AKSA

In conclusion, the spatial qualities of the Alpha are outstanding and the result of careful use of feedback and input stage speed. It is this spatial information which hugely engages the listener, because with large sound fields like orchestra and rock concerts knowing the positions of all the sounds makes realism. This is particularly important with large orchestras because the instrument positions are traditionally fixed and a music lover can follow the sounds from the instrument groups as though he sees the conductor. This makes it very engaging; typically only tube amps can do this but a very few SS amps can. This makes the Alpha worthwhile to build, and thank you, JW, for building it. I hope it's a keeper!

Lateral CFA 120W - BSA, how much feedback? Less or more 29 dB?

Three years ago, my friend said the best SS amplifier should use latfet. He built one. At local audio community we met. He bought his amp and I bought my amp. My amplifier used all BJT. After we compared them, he almost not believe that my amp sound better in all aspect. He made his opinion because he never found all BJT's amp sound better than latfet's amp.

I do not believe there is only ONE WAY (ex. particular topology, special components) to make good sounding amplifier.

Hey, I got some of my improvements through trial and error like cleaning my incredible dirty electrical grid. I still can not find a logical explanation about one (the 150 kHz ferrite after a coil, in the KEF Q100 woofer, with first order crossover), something that bothers me!

So, what the problem? If you do not understand, it does not mean all people do not, either. Scott Wurcer said, it is design by accident. :D

You can always learn, and all people, too.

Bimo,
I can see where you are coming from, but I do not fully agree. I think much science comes from serendipity - design by accident - and I think there are many examples, particularly where art meets engineering like audio, when techniques are not fully understood. Creativity comes from 'what if....' as well as from 'if this rule works, then this will follow.......'

We are on the same page, however, but never lose your humility.

Hugh

Bimo,
I can see where you are coming from, but I do not fully agree. I think much science comes from serendipity - design by accident - and I think there are many examples, particularly where art meets engineering like audio, when techniques are not fully understood. Creativity comes from 'what if....' as well as from 'if this rule works, then this will follow.......'

We are on the same page, however, but never lose your humility.

Hugh

I agree about creativity. We never understood all, but we try to prefect our knowledge.

I proved your design philosophy worked to some people. Thank you, I learn a lot from you. But I also learn from other, like Dadod, Bonsai, Scott Wurcer, John Curl, Nelson Pass, etc. I read a lot of books about audio amplifier.

It is fun to learn something new. But, sometime some people too arrogant to appreciate new idea like OITPC compensation. They never really analyze this compensation or try to build it, but they judged: it is not important or not good enough.