Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

How to wire up an Amplifier
How to wire up an Amplifier
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th June 2019, 01:08 PM   #251
stuartmp is offline stuartmp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8VHSLE View Post
Hi Stuartmp. I know this is off topic, but seeing you're from the Gold Coast, I'm curious - is your surname Robert? If so, congrats on recent win.
Hi.. No sorry my name is Stuart.
Old 11th June 2019, 01:10 PM   #252
diyAudio Member

Question. The ground lift circuit page. Does not follow other ground lift circuits I have sean. Am I missing something?1560258595911.jpgScreenshot_20190611-230705_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20190611-231014_Firefox.jpg
Old 11th June 2019, 01:47 PM   #253
V8VHSLE is online now V8VHSLE  Australia
diyAudio Member

If it helps, I've come across several posts discussing Rod Elliott's circuit. Including this one, where it was tested: understanding star grounding
Old 12th June 2019, 01:32 AM   #254
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8VHSLE View Post
If it helps, I've come across several posts discussing Rod Elliott's circuit. Including this one, where it was tested: understanding star grounding
Wow. AndrewT (RIP) tested that. My question would be why didn't the RCD trip in the meter box. Surely this is meant to trip before that level of current flows.

To clarify my question above. The two AC terminals in the photo from the grounding guide are not connected but in the schematics they are.
Old 12th June 2019, 06:35 AM   #255
Bonsai is offline Bonsai  Europe
diyAudio Member

In my ground loop breaker (left hand picture above), I have the diodes in the bridge connected in series so each side of the bridge gives +-1.2 volts protection. In the others, they have wired the diodes in parallel and you get +-0.6 voltage across the bridge.

They all do the same thing in that they break the ground loop.
Old 12th June 2019, 08:36 AM   #256
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartmp View Post
Hi Bonsai.

I have been reading your power point document on how to wire an amplifier and had a question.

Unfortunately I have already created my rear panel for my Amplifier and my inputs are not next to each other.

I see that you recommend wiring the inputs in a way to minimise loop area.

Can I propose something that would be a compromise but still minimise loop area. See the third image with the red dashed line for the left channel.

I would of course still bond the grounds of each input connector. See the blue dashed line.Attachment 762201Attachment 762202Attachment 762204
Hello Stuart,

Unfortunately doing what you propose still leaves you with a huge loop area inside the amp and the strong possibility of a cross channel ground loop. If you draw the line diagram, you will see this is the case. You will minimize the externally coupled cross channel ground loop, but this is normally only small compared to the internal cross channel ground loop. Keeping the input loop as small as possible is critical if you want to keep the hum down.

I highly recommend that you put the input connectors next to each other.
Old 12th June 2019, 11:41 AM   #257
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai View Post
Hello Stuart,

Unfortunately doing what you propose still leaves you with a huge loop area inside the amp and the strong possibility of a cross channel ground loop. If you draw the line diagram, you will see this is the case. You will minimize the externally coupled cross channel ground loop, but this is normally only small compared to the internal cross channel ground loop. Keeping the input loop as small as possible is critical if you want to keep the hum down.

I highly recommend that you put the input connectors next to each other.
Thanks for that I will consider it. I am using a loop breaker. So don't you think that I would be better of to keep my input signal wire away from the transformer and amp supply rails given that I using a loop breaker?
Old 12th June 2019, 12:44 PM   #258
diyAudio Member

There are two separate mechanisms at work here.

1. The loop breaker addresses the classis AC ground loop in which a magnetic field cuts the loop formed by the earth connection from your mains plug to the first piece of gear, through the interconnect cable to the earth of the second piece of gear, and then from the second piece of gear back to the mains plug.

2. Putting the input connectors side-by-side, bonding them together and minimizing the internal channel to channel loop area addresses the cross channel ground loop problem. With this problem, a magnetic field (usually the transformer, but can also be radiated fields from the internal wiring to the speaker terminals) cuts the loop bounded by the signal return wires and the amplifier 0V connections in side the amplifier. To prevent this problem, you must (a) use an HBR and (b) minimize the 0V and signal ground loop areas

By all means try it with the connectors apart - it may be quiet enough that its good enough in your system. However, if you put it on an audio analyser like a QA401 or a sound card, you will see that you will be losing about 10-20 dB in noise performance.

Note carefully that just putting the connectors together but not minimizing the internal loop area is also not good enough.

In your case with the connectors set apart, you could try the following (no guarantee it would work because it can depend on a lot of other things in your layout and transformer mag field radiation):-

1. Run the first input cable to the amp module.

2. Route the second channels cable to the first input connector and then run the wire parallel to the first channel cable. Route it around the first channel amplifier and then to the front of the amplifier, along the front plate and to the second amplifier module.

3. Bond the two input connector grounds together (to trap the cross channel ground loop inside the amplifier). Keep the bond and the input cable tightly bound to reduce the loop area.

4. Experiment with the routing between where the cable for the 2nd channel leaves the first amplifier module and goes to the 2nd amplifier module. I recommend you try it around the front plate, but if the transformer mag field is strong, you may actually find running closer to the PSU 0V wire helps because this reduces the loop area even further.

Remember, the shortest route is not always the quietest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Layout1.jpg (348.5 KB, 99 views)

Last edited by Bonsai; 12th June 2019 at 12:56 PM.
Old 13th June 2019, 01:38 AM   #259
diyAudio Member

Thank you Andrew for that detailed response. I'm going to print that out and at it to my file. I appreciate your time and advice. I'm in the middle of doing some line drawings from my 3D model of my Amplifier.
I will do my best to follow your guidelines and once I'm done I might forward them to you in a PM for a final review if that ok.
Old 13th June 2019, 08:35 AM   #260
diyAudio Member

How to wire up an AmplifierHide this!Advertise here!