Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Help with adding VU meters to a Bent Audio AVC-1 DIY build
Help with adding VU meters to a Bent Audio AVC-1 DIY build
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th April 2019, 07:06 AM   #1
BonkM is offline BonkM  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Help with adding VU meters to a Bent Audio AVC-1 DIY build

Hey guys,

Just a few weeks ago I was searching for a preamp that needed to meet a few requirements and I ended up with 4 Bent Audio AVC-1 Slagleformer (autoformer) units plus the front remote/operations PCB, rear I/O PCB, power PCB, and remote.

Old thread.
OP:
Looking for a custom preamp builder because I can't find what I need on the market
Final answer:
Looking for a custom preamp builder because I can't find what I need on the market

Iíve always liked the dancing, glowing VU meters, so I bought a pair of NIB Hoyt 2135 models. I have only just gathered that to add them, I need to add some buffer amp as well as a power source. This certainly isnít aligned with the passive auto formers I bought, but I do want to have some eye candy/pizzazz with this build as I donít see myself replacing the pre with anything for quite a while. My system requirements have made that hard, so I want this pre to really do the job sonically and visually.

So, now I need a bit of help in how to add them and what choices I have.
From this build blog, it shows a Single Ended Pass B1R2 buffer amp plus a custom made power source, fed from the toroidal. The pre has a lot in common with mine, but itís single ended.

My source is hot enough that I donít need any more gain, I just need a transparent buffer amp thatíll let me integrate the autoformers, but, my preamp is balanced, so I donít believe that I can use the B1R2, even if I picked 1/balanced leg and used 4. I donít know that for sure, thatís just what I thought I gathered. Iíve just heard of an Erno Borbely design, but Iím really flying blind on all this and donít know what Iím looking for.

Iím hoping that you guys can advise on what I should be doing. And if I do need a buffer amp/gain stage(?), that you can give me some recommendations that will work in a balanced configuration, wonít kill the sonics, and are relatively easy to buy the parts/PCBs/etc. for.

Thanks.
Old 15th April 2019, 01:26 AM   #2
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

If the main audio path can be Passive, then your buffers only carry *meter* signal. A TL072 on +/-9V, maybe single 12V, will do. (Heck, '741 would do, but they are getting scarce.)

JLM Audio Shop
http://www.audiotechnology.com/PDF/T...T51_DIY_VU.pdf

Last edited by PRR; 15th April 2019 at 01:34 AM.
Old 15th April 2019, 04:37 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRR View Post
If the main audio path can be Passive, then your buffers only carry *meter* signal. A TL072 on +/-9V, maybe single 12V, will do. (Heck, '741 would do, but they are getting scarce.)

JLM Audio Shop
http://www.audiotechnology.com/PDF/T...T51_DIY_VU.pdf
Thanks a lot! I followed the links, especially the first one to the JLM site, and do I understand correctly that that's it?

I mean, the other implementation I linked to had both a Pass B1R2 buffer amp and some kind of power supply board, both of which looked more intense than the JLM option. So I'm just a bit confused as to whether the JLM option is checking the same boxes as the more complicated one in the first link I shared?
Old 17th April 2019, 02:30 AM   #4
PRR is offline PRR  United States
diyAudio Member

> both a Pass B1R2 buffer amp and some kind of power supply board

You need a buffer and that needs a power supply.

Using a Pass-designed buffer and fancy regulator for a meter-only audio path seems like overkill to me. A TL072 and a 12V wall-wart would do.

However considering the investment you have already made, maybe a high-class more-cost approach is more appropriate for you.
Old 17th April 2019, 04:19 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRR View Post
> both a Pass B1R2 buffer amp and some kind of power supply board

You need a buffer and that needs a power supply.

Using a Pass-designed buffer and fancy regulator for a meter-only audio path seems like overkill to me. A TL072 and a 12V wall-wart would do.

However considering the investment you have already made, maybe a high-class more-cost approach is more appropriate for you.
Alright, I just wanted to double check if what I was looking at was the same. I don't know what I don't know, kind of deal.

I'm more than happy to keep the cost down on that area as long as it's effective and doesn't knock the rest of the execution down any pegs. If it's just like you've explained, and this is a meter-only path that doesn't somehow impact the the attenuation section, then I think what you've recommended (the JLM link anyway) will be the ticket.

In the JLM option, I saw that it said the board also has LED power supply headers. Would that be for the LEDs used to provide light behind the VU meter screens? That would be lucky if so.

Help with adding VU meters to a Bent Audio AVC-1 DIY buildHide this!Advertise here!