Elusive hum.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a test bed for testing amplifiers.
Its just a transformer, bridge rectifier and a couple of smoothing caps with crocodile clips on the leads.
The input is just a jack socket with a volume control.

I chose an old lateral mosfet amp to listen to.
For some reason it had quite a bit of hum.
I remember when I designed it started off with hum but then I decoupled the power rails to the front end with 100R and 100uf filter and that got rid of it.
I scoped the whole pcb and found a little hum getting in on the input but not on the power rails.
I couldn't work out where it was coming from.
In the end I noticed that the amp sits on a big old pcb above the transformer on top of the test rig case.
I moved the pcb over a little away from the transformer and the hum disappeared.

While this makes sense I haven't had the same problem with other amps I have tested. Very strange. Maybe this one was a bit more prone to noise due to pcb layout.

I bounce on what I just said about the NAP140 naim clone thread.
since I built this amp, I always do the same thing, that is, I assemble the power supply components with temporary wire, then I move the elements until I have no more noise / hum / buzz output hp.
I had a pair of pcb amp mosfet very simple (like Burning Amp) that I liked but had buzz and despite the change several times the transformer, the diode bridge and capacitors, I had never managed to shut him up until I tried to change the power supply topology and since then, we do not know if it is on or off.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.