Crown I-tech repair advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys,

I'm writing here hoping that someone found the same behavior or can give me any advice to repair a Crown I-tech 6000 amplifier.

The amplifier came to me not turning on at all. Power diode D1005 from BCA output stage was shorted. I replaced the bad one and the one that is in parallel. After some preliminary tests everything looked OK with one exception. The repaired channel (CH1) is overheating and in ~ 2 minutes it reach over-temperature and is shut down. I must stress out that it passes clean audio until it is cut down by overtemp protection. Cooling system is ok and is throttled progressively to max speed.

First thing to do was to adjust overlap/underlap according to service manual. No improvement. After that I swapped the front-end PCBs between channels and the problem moved on CH2. I made a lot of measurements with oscilloscope and compared with the working channel but nothing came out. Feedback, differential drive to gate drive boards, VP/VN voltage was measured and everything looks ok. Also each component ohmic resistance from bad front-end was compared to the same component on working front-end and nothing. I have no idea what can cause excessive heat dissipation in this BCA topology.

Now I'm out of ideas and ask for diyaudio community help.

If someone needs the full service manual please write me a private message.

Hi guys,

I'm writing here hoping that someone found the same behavior or can give me any advice to repair a Crown I-tech 6000 amplifier.

The amplifier came to me not turning on at all. Power diode D1005 from BCA output stage was shorted. I replaced the bad one and the one that is in parallel. After some preliminary tests everything looked OK with one exception. The repaired channel (CH1) is overheating and in ~ 2 minutes it reach over-temperature and is shut down. I must stress out that it passes clean audio until it is cut down by overtemp protection. Cooling system is ok and is throttled progressively to max speed.

First thing to do was to adjust overlap/underlap according to service manual. No improvement. After that I swapped the front-end PCBs between channels and the problem moved on CH2. I made a lot of measurements with oscilloscope and compared with the working channel but nothing came out. Feedback, differential drive to gate drive boards, VP/VN voltage was measured and everything looks ok. Also each component ohmic resistance from bad front-end was compared to the same component on working front-end and nothing. I have no idea what can cause excessive heat dissipation in this BCA topology.

Now I'm out of ideas and ask for diyaudio community help.

If someone needs the full service manual please write me a private message.

It can be driver ICs could have problem,

measurements can look perfect good luck

Thank you for responses guys,

@NMOS by drivers you mean the LM361 ICs? As last solution I'll try to replace blindly some components with new ones but I'm trying to find a clear defect before doing that.

@JonSnellElectronic good idea. I'll measure the inductance of the output coils to see if something is not OK. But that doesn't explain why if I swap the front-ends the problem moves to the other channel.
The gate drive is the old one with ceramics. I attached a picture bellow. You think I should try to update it and replace the ceramics with some good polypropylene?

Also as a note i replaced capacitor C629 as sugested on service manual on both front-ends.

Attachments

• IMG_0750.jpg
    IMG_0750.jpg
    719.7 KB · Views: 390
Thank you for responses guys,

@NMOS by drivers you mean the LM361 ICs? As last solution I'll try to replace blindly some components with new ones but I'm trying to find a clear defect before doing that.

@JonSnellElectronic good idea. I'll measure the inductance of the output coils to see if something is not OK. But that doesn't explain why if I swap the front-ends the problem moves to the other channel.
The gate drive is the old one with ceramics. I attached a picture bellow. You think I should try to update it and replace the ceramics with some good polypropylene?

Also as a note i replaced capacitor C629 as sugested on service manual on both front-ends.

only certified Crown Service Tech can help you he know secrets and known problems @ this circuit and how to fix

Class D circuits like this same todays car

If you certified fpr BMW,

you cant fiX special problems for Mercedes BENZ / Audi / Volkswagen...

Better you not waste lifetime, take your girlfiend and have nice weekend

circuits like this not worth to waste lifetime, if you not get full technical support training

Last edited:
I have some idea about the schematic and how it (Class I) works.
first, make sure all power diodes are good. then check all the gate-source signals using an oscilloscope with insulated channels (those exist!), otherwise the high side gate would be difficult to measure (or maybe use differential probe).
If you swap the "front-ends", the problem moves. But what do you mean? What exact components are included in the "front-end"?

Thank you all for your suggestions. I really appreciate your help.

First advice I took was NMOSs and this weekend didn't touch the mighty Itech.

But today I took some time to make some tests.
Measured all output inductors with LCR bridge and they seem OK. Also no visible visual damage.

After that according to Chris advice I soldered out R741 from the bad front-end board. This way I disconnected the input board and signal. Same problem, no improvement. This make me think that input board is good and not in HF oscillation.

Checked all power diodes and are good. Measured the output of front-end modulators and to me looks ok. (attached pic bellow. oscilloscope channel order is the following: CH1 - VP + DRV | | CH2 - VP - DRV | | CH3 - VN + DRV | | CH4 - VN - DRV)
@Tom the front-end is the PCB in photo bellow. It handles modulation, feedback, DC detect, I monitor, IOC, temp monitoring

P.S. I already contacted Harman and they told me that this amplifier reached end of service state and they don't have parts for it any more.

Attachments

• IMG_0756.jpg
    IMG_0756.jpg
    970.9 KB · Views: 293
  • vnvp - bad.jpg
    vnvp - bad.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 351
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.