Power Amp for Infiniti RS3b

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I own a pair of Infiniti RS3b and they eat power amp's. The 1st one was a Yamaha M80 (1 ch exploded after a few years), the 2nd a QSC MX-700 very solid but harsh sounding. I sold it to a DJ. 3th a Marantz SM-7 died after 6 months, repaired and again......RIP.
So what's up ....A PA amp (QSC MX700) to modify or DIY-ing one.
For the last solution I have 10ea BDX66A and 10ea BDX67A plus 2 main transformers 550VA/80V (or even 1400VA/80V) to construct 2 mono blocks.
Your ideas are welcome.

Philippe

Hey
Those are nominally 4-ohms but I think they can dip below that depending on the source material.

There was a thread way back where someone had the bigger Infinity refrences that had multiple drivers for each way, except a single mid-bass coupler. That one ate amps, too, actually the amps clipped and ate tweeters which is worse!

The fix was to get rid of the passive crossover, build a 4-way electronic crossover and four-way amps. I think they used an off the shelf for the woofers, then had a low-power amp for the mid-bass, but the mids and tweeters each needed a custom amp cuz wring each group in parallel made both of them less than 1-ohm! But it was low-voltage so easy to make a high-current amp for each band.

The result was stunning from what the thread said.

At the very least, you need an amp rated for 4-ohms or even 2-ohms with a ton of power. better would be to split it in two for bass and the rest. Then the tweeters won'ty get killed when the bass signal is really high.

I have a pair of RS5b’s, which I ran off AEM6000 derived Lateral MOSFET power amps for quite a while. The key to success with big Infinity speakers is running a lower rail voltage than you might otherwise, or adding transistors with higher rails - their impedance drops pretty low. Lateral MOSFETs are pretty bulletproof.

Also, these are not new speakers - it’s probably a good idea to check the caps in the crossovers aren’t stuffed, as that in turn could be killing amps.

AFAIK Z drops to 1.8 ohms. I rebuild the X-overs with Arcotronics film-C's, replaced the attenuators with MOX-resistors and eliminated all I & V protection parts.
So, still the question
1) 2xRotel RB1091
2) 1 or 2 modified PA-Amp('s)
3) DIY mono amp's as mentioned in#1

Philippe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.