Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

PCB copies
PCB copies
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th February 2019, 02:32 PM   #1
radarman is offline radarman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default PCB copies

Is it possible to have an old circuit board copied? Is it legal?
I have a blank Hafler PC19c from the DH-220 amp that I would like to have copies made for my own use, not for resale. These boards are from the 1980's, would I need permission from Hafler/Rockford?
Does anyone know of a place that I could send it to?

Thanks for any help.
Old 9th February 2019, 03:58 PM   #2
jan.didden is offline jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

I don't think you can just send it somewhere to have it copied, it doesn't work that way. Someone will have to transfer the layout into a CAD program to create the manufacturing files.

Probably just as easy to create a layout from the schematic and have that manufactured, in that case no issue with copyright. But probably no issue for that anyway.

Edit check eBay, there are knock-off offered for many vintage amplifiers, like here: hafler amplifier board | eBay .

Jan

Last edited by jan.didden; 9th February 2019 at 04:01 PM.
Old 9th February 2019, 09:40 PM   #3
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

You could scan the pcb into your pc and use that for small quantities. Otherwise its out with the PCBCAD package and design your own. Depending on the circuit you need to be very careful with pcb layout to reduce noise. Maybe the simplest way is just to copy the working pcb.

I remember my first attempt at a USB audio mixer. Just laid it out as it came. The result was 1vac of noise on output with input shorted ! I hadn't separated out power supply ground and audio ground result in 50Hz in the audio ground modulating it. With gain through the mixer the hum got huge. I relaid it out connecting audio and power supply ground only at pcb edge connector and it was noise free.

Last edited by nigelwright7557; 9th February 2019 at 09:48 PM.
Old 9th February 2019, 10:02 PM   #4
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

Those used to be available, doesn’t look like they are anymore on eBay.
Old 9th February 2019, 10:09 PM   #5
rayma is online now rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radarman View Post
I have a blank Hafler PC19c from the DH-220 amp that I would like to have copies made
This guy may still have some NOS boards. He bought all of Hafler's remaining stock.
Hafler DH220 DH500 PC19C Blank Driver Circuit Board NOS | #112278972
vintagelectron | eBay

If you can find a hobby pcb guy, he could do optical copies and etching/drilling.

Last edited by rayma; 9th February 2019 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10th February 2019, 01:44 AM   #6
radarman is offline radarman  United States
diyAudio Member

I bought 4 PC19c boards from Vintage Electron on Ebay back in 2014, I wish I had bought more. They are original old stock, very high quality. I've been trying to contact him lately but he doesn't respond. I've searched his Ebay store but no luck. I need 4 more. I have a total of 14 of these PC-19c boards in my 7.1 chan. surround system. Half of them are in a mono block configuration, half are stereo. All are 30+ years old and still function but, I want to restore them before they begin to fail. I'm in the process of replacing all the old parts with brand new, resistors, caps, diodes , transistors, everything. I like having brand new boards instead of removing all the old parts and re-using the old boards but if I have to I will.
Thanks for all the replies.
Old 10th February 2019, 02:18 AM   #7
rayma is online now rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radarman View Post
I like having brand new boards
See if there's a group of amateur radio hams in your area.
Probably at least one of them still etches boards.

Last edited by rayma; 10th February 2019 at 02:22 AM.
Old 10th February 2019, 04:32 AM   #8
rsavas is online now rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member

Could give this a shot, it might have limit. It says that we can collaborate. EasyEDA - Online PCB design & circuit simulator I think/hope home etching is almost done away with. Might want to change the 2n3440/2n5415 to 2SA1381/2SC3503 or do a dual footprint. I'd like to know the dimensions of the PC19c, as I might do the design myself, I recall that Bob Cordell did his DH-220C mod which is an interesting design. I try to make the pcb's 100x100mm to get the special deal. $2-3 for 10 plus shipping
Old 10th February 2019, 06:14 PM   #9
phase is offline phase  United States
diyAudio Member

The hafler boards I have here are 4-21/32” X 4-13/32”, with the fastener holes at 2-21/32”, and 4-1/8”, not centered, and not following the obvious rectangular shape of the board.
These are the very similar pc-6 boards.
Old 10th February 2019, 06:43 PM   #10
rsavas is online now rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Phase, thx for the info. I think I would need a pcb in hand to figure out exact fastener hole positions, sizes to use.
I recently re-designed a power supply pcb for a Pioneer SX-1010 receiver. Someone sent me the pcb as a sample, so I could measure it up.
When I do pcb outlines, I try to use mm as it is easier for me to work with unless it is a round imperial number.
So you have (4-21/32")118.3mm x (4-13/32")111.9mm, nice round numbers to work with

PCB copiesHide this!Advertise here!