Active/passive subwoofer amp question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm building a sub and have a plate amp I'm trying to fix. My question is - if I wire the sub to the plate amp and run an extra set of speaker wires to some terminals to run it passive sometimes, do I need a switch in the line to the amp so I can stop the power from going to it when I'm running it as passive? I will be running it passive at a higher wattage than the plate amp is capable of, so I don't know if I stand to damage it.

If I use a switch on the speaker line, will any switch do as long as its rated appropriately?

Thanks. Sorry for posting a subwoofer question here, but it's really more of an amp question I figured.

Joined 2011
do I need a switch in the line to the amp

Yes, you will have to add a DPDT (break-before-make type, and most are) switch
to select the plate amp output, or the external amplifier output.

The woofer goes to the center two terminals. The plate amp goes to the two terminals
at one end of the switch, and the external binding posts go to the two terminals at the
other end of the switch. Keep the phasing consistent. Use a 10A DPDT switch or more.
Don't connect (or preferably short) the plate amp input, when using the external amp.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Agree, use a DPDT toggle switch with the highest Amperage rating you can find; I have used one in the past good for 30 Amps. Alternatively, you could use multiple sets of banana jacks and make a short set of jumper wires, 12 AWG or heavier, and use like a patch panel. (IE, think old school telephone operator patch panel.)

Thanks for the feedback, really helpful info. I like the jumper cable idea more than my idea of the switch, but will have to think about the oops factor. I may sell this rig when its done and am worried that some day it will fall into the wrong hands and someone will end up burning their house down.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Thanks for the feedback, really helpful info. I like the jumper cable idea more than my idea of the switch, but will have to think about the oops factor. I may sell this rig when its done and am worried that some day it will fall into the wrong hands and someone will end up burning their house down.

Well, to reduce ooops, make sure to label everything and use color coding. To be extra safe; don't do switching or patching with the power on.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.