Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Swiss Physics 6A
Swiss Physics 6A
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th January 2019, 04:06 PM   #1
355F1 is offline 355F1  United States
diyAudio Member

Smile Swiss Physics 6A

Chaps,

Does anyone have a copy of the 6A schematics?

Cheers,

Horacio
Old 17th January 2019, 04:21 PM   #2
RM is offline RM  Norway
diyAudio Member

What seems to be the problem?

R
Old 17th January 2019, 06:49 PM   #3
R Dijk is offline R Dijk  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 355F1 View Post
Chaps,

Does anyone have a copy of the 6A schematics?

Cheers,

Horacio
Use Goldmund.
Had one Swiss, so i kinda know it.
Old 17th January 2019, 07:02 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks, but what Goldmund model?
Old 17th January 2019, 07:13 PM   #5
RM is offline RM  Norway
diyAudio Member

Much ado nothin`. Mostly a Hitachi application spinoff, cast in fancy clothes. Guys just love to be takin`for a ride.

State your worries.

R
Old 17th January 2019, 07:52 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I was just asking for the schematic only, your personal opinion is irrelevant.
Old 18th January 2019, 04:02 AM   #7
RM is offline RM  Norway
diyAudio Member

My comments were based upon these thoughts:

The main circuit is mostly based upon a Hitachi Application Note as a sales pitch for their (then) newly introduced MOSFET power transistor. Where most other manufacturers chose the "easy" route with only five transistors in front of the Power MOSFETs, SP chose otherwise even though they didn`t achieve much more.

When they (SP) were introduced to the Norwegian audio scene ooodles of years ago, they actually came at half price because they were already bankrupt.

Which lead up to "state your worries" as an invitation for you to describe the (potential) problems so that maybe diyaudio as a collective could actually help you mend them.

I have complete schematics for their Model 5 preamp, so I know that most crucial parts are potted and NOT described in those schematics, much to the annoyance of those customers who have bought SP, and also other amps of likewise "shrouded" products.

But hey, I`m Norwegian, maybe I just don`t know how to express myself in English, even though the mother of my children is American.

Regards
Roar Malmin
Old 18th January 2019, 07:59 AM   #8
R Dijk is offline R Dijk  Norway
diyAudio Member

Basic Goldmund even relay controls are the same.
There is a lot of treads here abt Goldmund, search and find.
I have the dravings somwhere, but remember it iknoff to fix without.
Voltage doubling then regulated for input voltage and driver stage. Output has 4 ' 1000uF for each half..... Somwhere i have the s

Here is basic of amplifier stage:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Goldmund.jpg (238.9 KB, 329 views)
File Type: jpg Swiss 6a.jpg (243.2 KB, 328 views)
Old 18th January 2019, 03:06 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
My comments were based upon these thoughts:

The main circuit is mostly based upon a Hitachi Application Note as a sales pitch for their (then) newly introduced MOSFET power transistor. Where most other manufacturers chose the "easy" route with only five transistors in front of the Power MOSFETs, SP chose otherwise even though they didn`t achieve much more.

When they (SP) were introduced to the Norwegian audio scene ooodles of years ago, they actually came at half price because they were already bankrupt.

Which lead up to "state your worries" as an invitation for you to describe the (potential) problems so that maybe diyaudio as a collective could actually help you mend them.

I have complete schematics for their Model 5 preamp, so I know that most crucial parts are potted and NOT described in those schematics, much to the annoyance of those customers who have bought SP, and also other amps of likewise "shrouded" products.

But hey, I`m Norwegian, maybe I just don`t know how to express myself in English, even though the mother of my children is American.

Regards
Roar Malmin
Dear Roar,

No hard feelings, I understand your point of view.

Since the 6A does not have the case with the mini fans I am trying to find some information in order install after market fans using the fan supply outlet on the rear panel.

When I purchased this amp I knew what I was getting into and took a risk. Sometimes I knew that I was being taken for a ride but after more than fifty years buying, selling and trading audio equipment as a hobby, I could not resist the temptations.

I bought my first system in 1962 - Leak Point One and TL50, Tannoy Monitor Golds, 401/SME/Ortofon.

I met Mauro del Nobile and his wife Nadejda unexpectedly when we were living in Brussels and was on my way to Luzern to pick up my Breuer tonearm. He was a brilliant engineer that started Goldmund together with Michel Reverchon, the collaboration didn't go so well, del Nobile was not a businessman, he left and started SwissPhonics.

Many components had been using potted crucial parts, Audio Research [SP-4] used the Analog Module, they referred to it as a device that acts as a "super tube" but in my opinion it was nothing but a good IC made by Honeywell. My Levinson ML-1 had encapsulated - potted - amplifier modules.

John Iverson fabulous Electro Research Electro Kinetic EK-1 strain gauge type preamp using the Panasonic EPC-451C cartridge had all the modules potted, please see photo. Iverson was also a brilliant designer and like del Nobile he was not a businessman either, his company folded like SP.

On another note, I purchased the SP to compare it with my superb Electrocompaniet 100 DMB anniversary amp.

Ciao,

Horacio
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1716_resize.JPG (377.0 KB, 263 views)
Old 10th February 2019, 12:27 PM   #10
as_audio is offline as_audio
diyAudio Member

Default Swiss Physics preamp and power amp Del Nobile

Found this thread by coincidence. A few remarks:

- Repair of the power amp is possible without schematic most of the time.
I do not own a schematic.

- Have a look at loose heat sink screws on TO3 devices. Have a special
look at Philips electrolytic caps.

- On one or two of the amp boards there is a tiny ground trace routed (IIRC
near board edge) and burnout of this slim copper trace leads to malfunction.

- As far as the fans are concerned, these are standard slimline and operating
with reduced voltage. I do not think you need them if you operate the amp
without the wooden cabinet.

- When working on the preamp exchange rectifiers. These are too small and
the transformer can be destroyed if they burn out. I had to replace one
transformer in the past.

- Pay special attention to Philips caps in the preamp also.

- If one of the small modules in the preamp is faulty you may want to use a working
module from the "inverted gain" section, rewiring the amp so that "out of phase"
operation is no longer possible. This is cumbersome work however.

- Opened one module and noted the circuitry somewhere, I will be able to find it.

- The big phono mc module is different. It rarely fails. I think I opened one and
decided to replace the circuit with something else. Please note : operation of
the mc stage depends heavily on some big Philips electrolytics.

Swiss Physics 6AHide this!Advertise here!