Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Help repair Yahmaha HS80M Low Cut
Help repair Yahmaha HS80M Low Cut
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2019, 11:07 AM   #1
injector is offline injector
diyAudio Member

Default Help repair Yahmaha HS80M Low Cut

Hi,

I found this forum through a search engine and noticed that there are some experts here
I'm a mechanical engineer but I do not know much about electronics.

I had a Yamaha HS80M Studio Monitor, in which the subwoofer has made no sound.
The high tones worked perfectly.

I found the service manual on the internet as well as a DIY manual for measurement and repair.
How I repaired my defective Yamaha HS80M studio monitor - Galleri
YAMAHA HS80M HS50M Service Manual download, schematics, eeprom, repair info for electronics experts

I then dismantled and measured the monitor:
U1 and U2 have spent +15 and -15V, but when measuring from the -15V I accidentally caused a short circuit and immediately the woofer is now working again : )
All switch positions, however, no longer work in the low cut, so my problem was probably due to a broken lowcut, which I have shot through the short circuit.
Now the lowcut is broken and leaves sound through it, thatīs what I thought from logical thinking why the sub is working back again.

Therefore, I would like to buy a subwoofer to my monitors but I would need the lowcut again and now try to repair this.
According to the wiring diagram, I hiked the -15Volt and come to the conclusion that it should be the IC105 or similar in the area.

Can someone help me where to measure?
How to identify the broken part?

Thank you in advance for your help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IC105.JPG (197.7 KB, 45 views)
Old 14th January 2019, 01:11 PM   #2
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

1/ Check all DC voltages for sensible values.
2/ Put in a signal and follow it through and see where it disappears.
Old 14th January 2019, 04:42 PM   #3
sgrossklass is offline sgrossklass  Germany
diyAudio Member

The low cut is almost entirely passive. If that does not work but woofer level seems normal otherwise, check whether the ground connection at pin 7 of S4 is present.

That the original problem fixed itself when a large transient on -15 V occurred may indicate a bad solder joint in the signal path or at one of the opamp power pins.

So really, all of this points towards soldering issues, or maybe a cracked board. Look for things like that.

It can't hurt to measure IC105 output DC offset at pins 1, 7. There should be a small positive offset of about 40 mV. Offset between the input pins (2/3, 5/6) should be single-digit mV or lower.
Old 14th January 2019, 10:46 PM   #4
injector is offline injector
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrossklass View Post
The low cut is almost entirely passive. If that does not work but woofer level seems normal otherwise, check whether the ground connection at pin 7 of S4 is present.

That the original problem fixed itself when a large transient on -15 V occurred may indicate a bad solder joint in the signal path or at one of the opamp power pins.

So really, all of this points towards soldering issues, or maybe a cracked board. Look for things like that.

It can't hurt to measure IC105 output DC offset at pins 1, 7. There should be a small positive offset of about 40 mV. Offset between the input pins (2/3, 5/6) should be single-digit mV or lower.
Thank you
Danke werde ich mal testen morgen

Help repair Yahmaha HS80M Low CutHide this!Advertise here!