Book question - Randy Slone - High-Power Audio Amplifier Construction Manual

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

First time poster here. I searched this forum for info on the second ed. of the book and learned it was never released.

Is there still value in buying the first ed. given it is circa 1999? Or are there better books for construction projects? BTW, I am planning to purchase the new ed. of Bob Cordell's book when it's released in May.

My goal is to get back into audio electronics which was a hands-on hobby many years ago for me.

Thanks,

Rob

These days you are better to pick a design from a forum such as this from a reputable designer. The forums offer fast support for any issues that may arise.

I own a copy of Randy Slone's High Power Audio Amplifier Construction Manual. It has many "tested" designs to choose from. I did a quick google search on his best design and found a bunch of posts here at DIYAudio saying the design was flawed and couldn't work. His math and theory are good but be careful what you want to build.

... I searched this forum for info on the second ed. of the book and learned it was never released...

Hi Rob

I have the first edition, picked up from Better World Books (an excellent source for second hand books). Cordell is better (the second edition will have construction details, so even better) but a copy of Slone is worth a look if you can find one cheap. As JWilhelm says, I would NOT use Slone for actual circuits, some have problems, do not build unless you read the discussion in DIY about this. Better to use circuits from here. Damir's (DadoD) are excellent. Toni's (ASTX) if you are ambitious (they tend to more power and cost) Both are skilled and very helpful, can provide boards, there are others but that's where I would start.

Best wishes David

Last edited:
Slone's book is better off giving a miss. Although interesting and entertaining to read it does not go into enough detail and has errors. The errors are usually in providing some circuits that do not actually function the way they are intended to. While the lack of detail is attractive to beginners it gets a little confusing when you are wanting more and want further knowledge.

The PCB layouts also do not allow the circuits to perform to the ability that they are capable either so you are better off not building them.

Having said all of this I was once a real rookie, read his book, and using his PCB layouts built some of his circuits. I had fun. One design worked well, the blameless amp, the other one did not.

I have since bought Self's book on amplifier design and it's in another league entirely. This is a good thing but also a bad thing. If I had bought Self originally it would have been too much and offer too little in terms of ready made designs. Slone got me building my first amps, so in that case his book was a complete success.

This was some 17 years ago now and things have changed. There's far more available online now to get you started!

if the reader is determined to learn something and is not easily discouraged/derailed/distracted, a book with some unknown errors can be a great learning tool.
:D
Think about how many mistakes that you "discovered" and solved on your own have you ever repeated versus the mistakes that required no pain and bloodshed (i.e. the answer was spoon-fed) to solve?

I'm just sayin' .....
;)

mlloyd1

if the reader is determined to learn something and is not easily discouraged/derailed/distracted, a book with some unknown errors can be a great learning tool.
:D
Think about how many mistakes that you "discovered" and solved on your own have you ever repeated versus the mistakes that required no pain and bloodshed (i.e. the answer was spoon-fed) to solve?

I'm just sayin' .....
;)

mlloyd1

:sly:Ha! Good one. But I think I'll start slow. I think I'll make my fair share of mistakes all by myself!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.