Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

SR5008 Thermal protection fix
SR5008 Thermal protection fix
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th January 2019, 03:54 PM   #1
angelman is offline angelman
diyAudio Member

Post SR5008 Thermal protection fix

My Marantz SR5008 receiver was shutting down due to a thermal protection error. It took me a long time to properly diagnose this failure, because it was sometimes shutting down after only a few seconds, sometimes after a couple of minutes, and sometimes it was functioning properly for a few days.

You can manually bypass the protection circuitry by pressing power+display+status+sound mode. 'Protection pass' is displayed, and everything was working fine. However, this is not a solution, so I tried to figure what the problem was by disassembling the amplifier-radiator module (7ch amplifier).

I measured the PTC resistors, and there was some variation, but I was not sure if replacing them would solve the errors. After reading another post on this forum about a similar amplifier (denon x1200w), I decided to disable the thermal protection for ever.

See attachment where to break the lines on the PCB of the amplifier module. Caution: you have to break/stop lines on both sides, so you have to desolder the power transistors. Of course, your amplifier is not protected against overheating, so only perform this operation if all other options failed!

After this has been done, no thermal protection errors, and my amplifier has been fixed!!

If you have any questions please send me a PM.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Marantz sr5008 thermal protection.pdf (857.9 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by angelman; 11th January 2019 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Added attachment
Old 5th February 2020, 05:36 PM   #2
PeterCetera is offline PeterCetera  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Default Marantz SR5009

My SR5009 ... is in protection mode (thermal A) ... can you help me?
  Reply to this post

SR5008 Thermal protection fixHide this!Advertise here!