NAP250 clone

It's difficult to explain for me. Let me try:
Regulator of nap250 works for 50-60volts (It's higher than amp circuit(40v)). PSU caps work with regulator voltage. If amp want to use current (power), it use it from 60v charged caps. So, supplied power are larger than 40v psu/40v charged caps? Also, voltage for amp is constant with 40v for stability of amp.

Is this mechanism of regulator of NAP250? I asked before :)

I have been using Jeff Young's boards for almost a year with a separate Pre amp and decided to integrate this clone in my original NAIM system but I have failed.

My original system is NAIM HDX ==> NAC 202 (NAPSC +HICAP)==> NAP 200-- see pic

I have used a 4 pin DIN socket and wired it according to picture 2, leaving +24v pin free.

However all is get is loud ground noise and no music at all. If there was some music I would have thought I am on right path, but it seems not.

Can some one guide me how to rectify this problem?
Thanks
Sajjad

Attachments

• pic1.png
    pic1.png
    258 KB · Views: 280
  • pic 2 .png
    pic 2 .png
    106 KB · Views: 263
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    66.8 KB · Views: 243
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    123.3 KB · Views: 265
Well my joy was short lived, last night the whole thing went in flames.
Upon investigation it seems that 220 OHM resistor on positive supply rail burnt and then took the 10UF capacitor with it.
I will remove most of components and check but I would appreciate any guidance on what would have initiated this disaster in the first place??
Please help!
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3793.JPG
    IMG_3793.JPG
    492.9 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_3795.JPG
    IMG_3795.JPG
    541.5 KB · Views: 247
Well my joy was short lived, last night the whole thing went in flames.
Upon investigation it seems that 220 OHM resistor on positive supply rail burnt and then took the 10UF capacitor with it.
I will remove most of components and check but I would appreciate any guidance on what would have initiated this disaster in the first place??
Please help!
Thanks
It looks like you amp shorted out the power supply.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
If you're trying to build a clone, build a clone rather than modifying its parts specs before you even hear what the original may have sounded like. If you don't like the sound of the original design as you built it (remember, Naim's first products were an instant hit back in the day) then investigate where you went wrong and change it to be closer to the original in the component specs at least.

Obviously, if you don't like the original sound or Naim sound even at its best, then build something else entirely. Class A, D, or hybrid - whatever floats your boat. My own experience of the original NAP250 (way too expensive for my pocket) was a revelation. Nothing in my collection of amps touched it then because it had that infectious musicality and engagement. Sure, times have changed since but that same product with its original BDY58s still doesn't sound bad at all - even near 40 years on. I'm well aware that Avondale cloned the NAP design using MJ15003 and once made finished amps too. They still offer kits of finished boards and updated designs for their following of DIY fans but their market is limited by small scale production costs and is really only local UK. I've only heard their sound a few times myself but I would say its smoother than Naim's sound of the period and lacks a little life. If that's what you prefer, go the NCC200/300 way and forget the Naim sound and clones as jpk may be suggesting.

On the other hand., if you're starting with Chinese clone kits and boards, I can well understand the frustration of getting nothing but poor sound. There have been improvements over the years - sometimes genuine semis and great PCBs are offered too but most of the cheap kits are just a waste of time and money because they don't follow the design in the details - just generic, unmatched semis as they come, with a minimal circuit/ PCB. If you don't need to use original TO3 semis though, Sanken's LAPT transistors are by far the better way forward, not the slow old TO3 types from Onsemi, ST micro etc, nor switching types, NOS relics etc.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Is this mechanism of regulator of NAP250? I asked before :)
Yes, Naim's NAP250 has linear regulators on PCBs that look similar to the power amps as Jeff's clone shows too.
The more popular original Naim product details are revealed on these pages archived at Pinkfishmedia forum: http://www.acoustica.org.uk/t/naim/power_amps.html Yes, the phase compensation components are different for each model but I'd suggest this may have been the result of tweaking (by ear) rather than just calculated values. In any case, the networks can be removed with little or no functional consequence.