NAP250 clone

Having completed my HPA-1 and J2 clones (Pictures of your diy Pass amplifier), I'm back on this project.

I've decided to do my boards without solder mask and silkscreen so they look more old-school. They'll still be two-layer with plated-through holes, so not completely old-school. But care will need to be taken when soldering to check for bridges.

Legends will be sparse (connections, test points and pots) and done in copper.

Amp front:
attachment.php

Amp back:
attachment.php

Inverted regulator front:
attachment.php

Inverted regulator back:
attachment.php

Anyone interested in a small group-buy? I'll be making the boards at EuroCircuits (made in EU) so they'll be more expensive than Chinese-made boards. Price will also depend heavily on volume. Figure between €10/board and €20/board.

Also let me know if you'd be interested in the original or inverted regulator boards (or both). Note that the amp boards have jumpers so you can power either the whole amp or just the front-end from the regulators.

Cheers,
Jeff.

Attachments

• amp-board-front.jpg
    amp-board-front.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 5,692
  • amp-board-back.jpg
    amp-board-back.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 5,010
  • regulator-board-front.jpg
    regulator-board-front.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 1,447
  • regulator-board-back.jpg
    regulator-board-back.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 1,450
... Copper is a fairly active metal and will corrode quite quickly...

Even without a solder mask the copper still has a protective coating of tin.

I've repaired a bunch of little amplifier circuit boards for the coolant level and outside temperature sensors in 1960s and 70s RR/Bentleys that have been sitting around in British Isles humidity for nigh on 50 years. 90% of the time it's the diodes that fail, with the odd transistor or rivet that attaches the pins to the board. But I've never had an issue with oxidation on the board itself. (I do spray the entire assembly with cellulose lacquer after replacing the diodes and transistors, but that's just because they're going back out in the weather again.)

Use transparent solder mask perhaps?

Yeah, I actually tried that, but sadly it kicks you out of the pooling and the board cost goes way up.

Last edited:
Hi Jeff,

Any clues as to where to source the BC239C input transistors and either of the output TO3 metal can types you have on the schematic. Not stocked at Mouser. All the other transistors are in stock in qty at Mouser , so no problems with those.

Or, have you further alternatives, should not be too hard for the inputs TR1 and TR2. Maybe the output stage TR11 and TR12 need to be as close to original design semi's as possible.

Look forward to your thought on these devices. Also posted this in your GB thread.

Also, have you posted the schematics for both regulator design's?

Gary..

Hi Gary,

I replied on the device questions in the GB thread.

I probably posted both regulator schematics, but it's easier to do it again than to find them. ;)

Julian's regulator:

attachment.php

My inverted version:

attachment.php

Cheers,
Jeff.

Attachments

• YoungREG_schematic.pdf
    73 KB · Views: 1,956
  • YoungREGINV_schematic.pdf
    80 KB · Views: 1,639