NAP250 clone

Too subtle? :confused:

Are you referring to the NFB trace? It has a resistance of 17mOhms, which is well below the tolerance of the 27K resistor already on that net.

The LTP's tail is also a bit long, but that's just a CCS, so a bit of resistance there isn't going to do any harm.

when I design my pcb's I look at quite a few things -

I use wide & short traces where possible to reduce inductance and resistance, also to improve heat flow away from the solder joints and related components. It's quite important around through-hole pads if you are going to be repairing boards or changing out parts so I use large pads where I can.

I try to run traces in pairs, since current flows in loops I like to have the current return path follow back adjacent or underneath the outgoing current. In other words, low loop-area reduces radiation and magnetic coupling.

I try to keep high impedance sensitive nodes away from areas with large voltages and potential noise to reduce capacitive coupling.

I don't like having power supply connections on opposite sides of the pcb, I want to bring twisted wires into one side only. Same for other signals.

Lastly, and no less important, the layout should look nice, it should have some beauty of it's own. You can often tell when somebody used autoroute because the layout is not at all aesthetically pleasing. Don't ask why this is important - you either have a feel for this or you don't.

Last edited:
I like your list, Bigun.

I'd just add one thing: when you can't keep sensitive traces completely away from dirty ones, at least run them at right angles to each other.

Here's an example from a preamp:

attachment.php

K1 and K2 are relays that select the input. Their 12V power lines come in on the front of the board (red traces). Note how they are not optimized to be short, but rather to stay away from the input traces (on the back of the board, in green) until they have to cross, and then to do so at right angles.

Attachments

• preampex.jpg
    preampex.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 2,131
Last edited:
Piglet'sDad over on PinkFishMedia mentioned that the NAP250's regulator was greatly compromised by having its VAS referenced to the noisy power rails (thereby giving it poor PSRR at high frequencies -- right where the NAP amp circuit needs it).

So I tried a version with the VAS referenced to ground (which also means flipping the LTP):

attachment.php

(This also has the advantage of looking like a VAS followed by a Darlington, rather than visually masquerading as an output triple.)

While it has vastly improved attenuation at high frequencies, it gives it back a low frequencies:

attachment.php

Swapping a resistor for a JFET lets us have our cake and eat it too:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• inverted_reg.jpeg
    inverted_reg.jpeg
    305.8 KB · Views: 1,496
  • inverted_atten.jpeg
    inverted_atten.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 1,476
  • inverted_ccs_reg.jpeg
    inverted_ccs_reg.jpeg
    159.5 KB · Views: 1,474
  • inverted_ccs_atten.jpeg
    inverted_ccs_atten.jpeg
    175.6 KB · Views: 1,478
Naim NAP regulator (sans current protection):
attachment.php

Modified regulator. LTP & VAS re-referenced to ground, CCS added for LTP, Miller compensation changed from local to global.
attachment.php

SPICE has the modified regulator giving vastly better performance in the higher frequencies:

attachment.php

Can you hear the difference? Dunno. But I intend to find out.

Naim schematic board:

attachment.php

Modified schematic board:

attachment.php

Attachments

• YoungREGMOD_layout.jpeg
    YoungREGMOD_layout.jpeg
    387.7 KB · Views: 1,535
  • YoungREG_layout.jpeg
    YoungREG_layout.jpeg
    386.8 KB · Views: 1,563
  • YoungREGMOD_schematic.jpeg
    YoungREGMOD_schematic.jpeg
    194.1 KB · Views: 1,722
  • YoungREG_schematic.jpeg
    YoungREG_schematic.jpeg
    178 KB · Views: 1,732
  • reg_comp.jpeg
    reg_comp.jpeg
    124.3 KB · Views: 1,540
The traces between the Miller cap and the VAS transistor on the amp board are about as short as they can get.

So let's assume you're talking about the regulator boards. Naim's design has a resistor in the Miller circuit, so it is what it is. Those traces could be shorter though. How's this:

attachment.php

On the modified regulator the Miller cap is bypassing the VAS & the output stage. There's no way to make that particularly short.

I'm not trying to be dense; I just am. ;)

Attachments

• miller.jpeg
    miller.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 1,366
Even my first layout was reasonably compact next to Julian Vereker's. :D

VAS in red, Miller cap & resistor in blue, and traces connecting them in green.

attachment.php

Granted, he had the constraints of a single-layer board. But I don't think Naim amps come with radio licenses, do they? :p

Attachments

• jvs-miller-traces.jpeg
    jvs-miller-traces.jpeg
    91 KB · Views: 1,991
Reactions: 1 user
Second regulator schematic from post #67 is the global feedback one.

What's the operable length? Just to the current-carrying trace (blue line), or all the way to the output device (yellow line)?

attachment.php

And what's the problem with the length? The trace resistance shouldn't matter: it will just add a zero (which in fact would be mildly useful up at about 47R, but that would be a really long trace).

Is it ringing? C7 is connected in the middle and is an electrolytic so it will have a non-trivial ESR even at high frequencies. Wouldn't that dampen any ringing?

Is it the trace inductance? The yellow length will have an inductance on the order of 50nH. If I plug that into SPICE I do get an ugly spike at 50MHz. Shortening the trace to about 1cm moves that out to 100MHz. But 1cm doesn't even get me out from under the heat-sink.

The 50MHz spike is around -35dB, while the 100MHz one is around -40dB. Those are waaay below unity gain.

What am I missing? :confused:

Attachments

• globalfb.jpeg
    globalfb.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 1,878
Well...I hesitate to start down the “advanced electronics course” route. And giving all the answers might kill your DIY entertainment. If you don’t mind spending on having different PCBs made then maybe you should try them and see. The best thing I can recommend is prototyping on a breadboard. Then you can try many arrangements and see what you get.

What test equipment have you got?

I did digital hardware (professionally) back in the 1980s, but then moved into software.

Since retirement I've built a tube amp (a Bottlehead SEX with some changes to the PSU), a hybrid headphone amp (my version of a TorpedoIII) and a couple of Pass amplifiers (F3 and F5). The SEX is a point-to-point, but all the others are on my own PCBs.

I got the HP from AccuSource in GA some years ago.

And what's the problem with the length? The trace resistance shouldn't matter: it will just add a zero (which in fact would be mildly useful up at about 47R, but that would be a really long trace).

Is it ringing?

What am I missing? :confused:
To the point, two parallel wires have about 3 pf per cm of capacitance to each other. That couples high frequency signals of the two inputs . Any sharp vertical voltage changes have large high frequency components. As rectifier shutoff, for example.
Building on PCB's IMHO maximizes this effect, because of long parallel traces. In 3D as I build, wires in space don't couple so well because they are farther apart, and rarely parallel.
If you have an actual noisy run, try putting pads at each end and run a loopy wire up in the air. This coupling effect won't show up in sims.

Last edited:
If C1, C3 & C4 are tantalums they need to be high voltage, like 25V or more. This is to do with making sure they have enough reverse voltage tolerance.

Unfortunately, this is incorrect.

Vishay, for example, does not give any guideline but simply advises that tantalum capacitors are never used in a circuit where a reverse voltage may be applied across its terminals. This is good advice.

For those that do the common guidelines for reverse voltage are:
10% of rated voltage to a maximum of 1 volt at 25°C
3% of rated voltage to a maximum of 0.5 volts at 85°C
1% of rated voltage to a maximum of 0.1 volts at 125°C

So for reverse voltage considerations only, there is no advantage to increasing the rated voltage above 10V if you believe that the cap will not get hotter than 25°C - which is pretty optimistic even with a Class B Naim amp.

Unfortunately, this is incorrect.

Vishay, for example, does not give any guideline but simply advises that tantalum capacitors are never used in a circuit where a reverse voltage may be applied across its terminals. This is good advice.
Vishay
See guidelines section 3.

For those that do the common guidelines for reverse voltage are:
10% of rated voltage to a maximum of 1 volt at 25°C
3% of rated voltage to a maximum of 0.5 volts at 85°C
1% of rated voltage to a maximum of 0.1 volts at 125°C
Source?

Attachments

• Tantreverse.PNG
    Tantreverse.PNG
    39.9 KB · Views: 604