Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

NAP250 clone
NAP250 clone
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th January 2019, 11:50 AM   #11
huggygood is offline huggygood  France
diyAudio Member

that's exactly what I meant.
already, building a clone is a priesthood in itself.
I bought my first clone kit about ten years ago, I assembled it as is, listened 1 day and then dismantled and stored.
then 4 or 5 years ago I came across this thread and it was a revelation for me.
I took months to search and bring together the right components for
put it back in its "state of origin" and the first listen, I fell in love, he had nothing to do with "the thing" that I had assembled before.
In fact at the time I had two naim to repair at the workshop, so I could make the direct comparison and I knew that I was in the right place.
Since then, I started looking for something to build a 90 or a 110 (mine being closer to a 110 than a 140)
I can only advise you to buy a kit 42.5 to go with it and make it undergo the same treatment as the nap.
for the price, it's the same as a zen garden and in addition it makes music
Old 6th January 2019, 06:11 AM   #12
Ian Finch is offline Ian Finch  Australia
diyAudio Member

I looked over some current clones for a typical NAP build and the best for the difficult to find and expensive semis is still the GLZOZONE or ZEROZONE finished or kit sets for a NAP140 from several sellers (3 boards per set). There is still a possibility of fakes but I bought 3 pairs of finished and kit forms last year that all tested fine with my gear and I did curves with a DCA75 tester to compare the doubtful SS types. The lineup of transistors is spot-on: BC239C, MPSA06/56, ZTX653/753, ZTX384, MJE243/253, 2SC2922. This has a good chance of sounding great - My recent build which equates to probably NAP160, sounds as near as good as it gets for me. For the present, I choose it first every time.

You can buy the parts and PCBs individually but what a PITA trying to source that lot and the other components individually - also paying the sum of all individual freight costs. I should also mention that there are errors on the overlay for a 1.2k resistor and the trimpot in the bias chain. Be sure to check against the schematic as you'll get very little bias and a crossover crackle if it isn't fixed.

Hi Huggygood, did you locate a schematic for NAP 90? I know it is simpler than NAP models and is closer to a Nait design i.e. it uses something like BD743 - a T0220 power transistor and the drivers are also ZTX652/752. I'm just not certain of all details as I haven't seen the schematic other than a partial drawing posted originally at another forum. There is a reverse-engineered Nait2 schematic here but that's probably not quite the same.
Old 6th January 2019, 09:33 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Finch View Post
Hi Huggygood, did you locate a schematic for NAP 90? I know it is simpler than NAP models and is closer to a Nait design i.e. it uses something like BD743 - a T0220 power transistor and the drivers are also ZTX652/752. I'm just not certain of all details as I haven't seen the schematic other than a partial drawing posted originally at another forum. There is a reverse-engineered Nait2 schematic here but that's probably not quite the same.
It's exactly that
i start from the nait 2 with to 220 power transistor and muscled power supply.
I always keep the idea that it remains a "clone like nap 90" but I will try to get closer to it.
at worst, I will find one to lend me one to raise
components and values, but I'm in no hurry, the path is as important as the destination
Old 6th January 2019, 10:09 AM   #14
JeffYoung is online now JeffYoung  Ireland
diyAudio Member

NAP250 clone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Finch View Post
... You can buy the parts and PCBs individually but what a PITA trying to source that lot and the other components individually....
I love how varied this hobby is. Doing my own PCB layout is my favourite part, and finding the parts ranks up there in the top 5 (particularly if they're really hard to find).
Old 6th January 2019, 10:17 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

then you are on the right track.
on the other hand, redo the routing of pcb naim
is a challenge.
you do not want to have fun with jlh69?
Old 6th January 2019, 02:23 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

NAP250 clone
I've got an F3 and an F5 holding down the SE and PP ends of the class A spectrum. I thought I try something a little different next.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 6th January 2019, 02:37 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

it's very pretty and very tidy, I'm impressed!
why the jlh?
because it's simple, funny, super nice to assemble
and above all, that he does not look like any other.
he is a faithful companion who never poses a problem,
and everything he does, he does it well.
and finally, you who likes things tidy is the perfect candidate for a very nice assembly p2p
Old 6th January 2019, 09:49 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

NAP250 clone
I do enjoy p2p. Here's my Bottlehead S.E.X. about 3/4 done:

NAP250 clone-nearing-complete-jpg

And finished (completely custom casework on this one):

NAP250 clone-sex-front-jpg

But I haven't done a dead-bug yet, and the JLH would be a perfect candidate for that....

Cheers,
Jeff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nearing complete.jpg (263.7 KB, 781 views)
File Type: jpg SEX front.jpg (325.4 KB, 773 views)
Old 7th January 2019, 04:07 AM   #19
Ian Finch is offline Ian Finch  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
I love how varied this hobby is. Doing my own PCB layout is my favourite part, and finding the parts ranks up there in the top 5 (particularly if they're really hard to find).
Actually, I share this sentiment of immersion in all areas of the hobby. Sourcing parts from remote locations is often prohibitive for me though, particularly when returning goods for credit is at the buyers cost. Do this a few times and you soon tire of spending much more on freight than goods value or ending up with almost nothing.

Not all parts suppliers are straight-up when their products are intended for different markets - maybe a market that is unaware of differences between OEM and generic semis. With on-line selling platforms, we can't often see what is offered and only guess the quality. So it's sad to find after a long wait, that your bargain low noise input transistors hiss like general purpose switch types even though the label looks original and says otherwise
Old 10th January 2019, 04:46 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

NAP250 clone
Here's a first draft of the amplifier board.

NAP250 clone-youngnap_schematic-jpg

NAP250 clone-youngnap_layout-jpg

NAP250 clone-youngnap_board_front-jpg

NAP250 clone-youngnap_board_back-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg YoungNAP_schematic.jpg (345.7 KB, 458 views)
File Type: jpg YoungNAP_layout.jpg (839.5 KB, 438 views)
File Type: jpg YoungNAP_board_front.jpg (279.7 KB, 411 views)
File Type: jpg YoungNAP_board_back.jpg (171.3 KB, 440 views)

NAP250 cloneHide this!Advertise here!