Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

M500T Carver help?
M500T Carver help?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th March 2019, 02:07 AM   #91
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

M500T Carver help?
Hi Terry,
I'm glad you are continuing. Common sense can be your best friend, just as asking a question can save you a lot of grief later on. I'm pretty sure your amplifier will provide you years of good service while looking gorgeous in the process.

No, you really don't need a couple extra watts that actually amounts to a fraction of a dB more power.

-Chris
Old 15th March 2019, 03:01 AM   #92
T3GTerry is offline T3GTerry
diyAudio Member

I want to thank everyone for their help. I completed replacing all the transistors in question on both sides and made my final settings and closed it up a few weeks ago. I have since been using it in my workshop on the days when I get a chance to be here. It sounds fabulous. Most of my time has been spent lately visiting my dad in another state as he has been very ill. Alas I am already on another project that is going to be yet another headache. Anybody know anything about PS Audio 100C amps? I got my hands on one and found out first thing that the schematics and tech manuals are non existent. I realized someone had modded the hell out of this thing trying to permanently bridge both sides. It is a mess inside and one side is not working. It appears that this thing was built as two mono blocks inside and someone tried to make major changes. The boards look like crap and I am thinking seriously about sending this to the dumpster and sell off the few usable parts that I can. Thanks again for all of your help. I may start another topic for this PS Audio. I dunno yet. Thanks again.
Old 15th March 2019, 04:05 AM   #93
diyAudio Moderator

M500T Carver help?
Hi Terry,
If it was me in your shoes, I would sell the few bits I could and scrap the rest. You may find that the chassis as it is might suit a DIY amplifier. Then you have most of your expensive stuff already (case & transformer).

When a repair or modification was attempted, but not successful, it means the "tech" was in panic mode at some point. That person would then do things they normally wouldn't, so you will probably find some things done that don't make any sense at all. So at the minimum, strip and clean the chassis. Then take stock of the other stuff to see what can be salvaged. I can't see you winning with this as a repair, and if the PCBs are in rough shape I would question reliability.

Best, Chris
Old 15th March 2019, 04:40 PM   #94
T3GTerry is offline T3GTerry
diyAudio Member

Thank you kindly Anatech. Yes the PCBs are in horrible shape. On the other hand I like your suggestion of building a DIY amp. I would not know where to start. I am sure there are kits out there. I guess I would just have to research this. On that note I am thinking two mono blocks of say 250 watts each would be killer. But I am definitely open for any ideas. Got anything in mind? Something a little unusual or different? Something that would definitely be a conversation piece? I like the unusual.
Old 17th March 2019, 01:04 AM   #95
diyAudio Moderator

M500T Carver help?
Hi Terry,
I seriously question the need or desire for 250 watts per channel in mono blocks. There are any number of excellent stereo 250 watts per channel type power amps. My Marantz 300DC (150 wpc) will bottom the drivers of my PSB Stratus Gold speakers at about the same time it clips. Okay, so the Marantz puts out somewhat more power than it is rated at, but I never run the system anywhere near those levels.

You could build a stereo Honey Badger, or some of the other amplifiers now in threads. I'm sorry that I can't remember their names, but there is some darned good stuff available.

The first step you should take is to find out what supply voltage you have. That will determine how much power you can hope for. Don't get too hung up on power output. Once you clear 150 watts, you're really in an area where speakers have short lifetimes.

You know what would be really cool, and you only need a fraction of the power? Go active with the crossover, and a separate amplifier for each driver. Without the passive crossover the speakers are a lot more efficient - and you can use the amplifier's damping full on each driver. You won't ever go back to a passive crossover after that!

First, look at that transformer, or power it up with the amps disconnected to see what your voltages are.

-Chris

M500T Carver help?Hide this!Advertise here!