Bias Problems;

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I'm trying to repair old grundig amplifier. Previous owner messed up with it pretty bad. In fact beyond imagination. So many resistors were replaced with wrong values, output transistors not up to spec as amp suggests, driver transistors shorted, pcb traces destroyed etc etc..

I fixed one channel, and repaired most of the parts. Replaced resistors according to schematic. Replaced output transistors and drivers. Fixed pcb traces.

SM calls for 30mv bias for each channel. I can adjust left channel to 30mv. But right channel jumps from zero to 50mv suddenly. Minimum I can dial bias pot is around 45mv and its wondering. I couldn't find the reason for this behaviour.

I attached schematic for right channel. Red circled parts are replaced by me. GPSA05 replaced with bc546b. Other parts same as originals..

Any idea where to look next?

Attachments

• 7200.jpg
    7200.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 207
Your unstable bias may be the amplifier going into oscillation. Can you watch the output with a scope? Is there a zobel network on the output? If so is the resistor getting hot?

I had an amp become DC unstable.
It turned out to be the feedback circuit to ground electrolytic capacitor was reverse biased which caused the DC offset to be amplified by AC gain !
I reversed the capacitor and it was then very stable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.