Standby Issue With Used Roksan K2 Amplifer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi I was wondering if anybody can give me some advice please.

A week ago I bought a used Roksan Kandy K2 amp off an auction site. At first I didn't like the sound, but its really grown on me. I have an issue with it though, it's happened several times.

When the amp is switched on, usually from cold, but once it had been on for ages. I switch the rocker switch to on, then press the power button (mode) on the remote, the mode light goes from green to red, but it will not stay red, it's like some protection circuit, it goes back to standby (green). It will just not pass whatever the electronics are looking at, each time I press the mode button. The only way to right it, is to switch the power rocker switch to off and on again. Then it goes from standby to running first time.

I just wondered if anybody has this on a Roksan amp? Just bothers me if that is why it was sold. I have a pretty small window to return it. Shame as once I've got used to it, I think its a really good amp for the money. But on the other hand it is too expensive, and if the fault develops into one, where the amp will never come out of standby, I would imagine it is not viable to repair it through the manufacturer.

I know some amps have quirks, I'm just slightly concerned about this one. If it had only happened once, no problem..

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
It does sound like something is amiss, and without a full service manual and schematics I could only guess...

The bottom line is there is an issue, how fixable it is open to speculation although its not necessarily a 'deep seated' problem and could be something as simple as a failing electrolytic cap in the power supply or even a dodgy soldered joint or relay contact problem.

Thanks Mooly, I think I'll return it if I can. If it was my own amp that I had for ages I would've tried to fix it. But I don't want to knowingly buy something with a fault. Be a pretty dumb thing to do as it wasn't cheap enough to warrant it. Thanks again.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.