Radiated fan noise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Not sure if this is the correct forum for this question, if not could moderators move it please.
I have heat sinks for a class A that require fan cooling. I am thinking of using EBM Papst fans of either 24V DC or 240V AC . I would like to control the speed to obtain lowest noise for the required cooling.
The question is, which will give lowest radiated electrical " noise" that may be picked up by the amplifier. Are there any other considerations.
Best Regards
Alan

I would use DC low voltage fan. Select high quality brushless one. I use 12V dc fans for computers and run them on half the volts. No electrical or mechanical noise.
A 240VAC fan is quieter than a 12V BLDC fan. A DC fan has a slight mechanical noise induced into its structure by the switching of the coils and the consequent bumpy torque applied to the fan. AC fan is much smoother. To slow an AC fan down, put several microfarads worth of class X mains capacitor in series with the motor.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
A 240VAC fan is quieter than a 12V BLDC fan. A DC fan has a slight mechanical noise induced into its structure by the switching of the coils and the consequent bumpy torque applied to the fan. AC fan is much smoother. To slow an AC fan down, put several microfarads worth of class X mains capacitor in series with the motor.

D150 monster amp and funny tooobz

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks circlotron and adason for the replies and links.

Really!? Mount Standard Cheapo fans 'elsewhere' and run Dryer vent hose or Similar to the Clearly woefully undersized heatsinks on your Amp.

Bare, it must be a rare talent to be able to make derogatory remarks about something you have not seen or even had described to you, remarkable.
The heat sink tunnels I am using are virtually identical to those used in the Krell KSA50 and KSA100 only they are slightly taller. Each will be required to dissipate approx. 160W of heat, considerably lower than each in the KSA100. Perhaps the next post you write could be to Mr. D'agostino and tell him what "clearly woefully undersized heatsinks" he used.

Best Regards
Alan

Attachments

• P1030618 email.jpg
    P1030618 email.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 104
  • P1030620 email.jpg
    P1030620 email.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 108
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.