Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Suggest Amplifier for Shahininan Obelisk speakers
Suggest Amplifier for Shahininan Obelisk speakers
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st November 2018, 09:30 PM   #1
Hook is offline Hook  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Suggest Amplifier for Shahininan Obelisk speakers

Looking for advice or opinions for my next amplifier project.
I was fortunate to inherit a pair of Shahinian Obelisk speakers from my father. I'm looking for suggestions for an amplifier to build to use with them. These speakers are multiway and are nominally listed as 200 watt max, 89 dB efficiency, 6 ohm impedance. I gather that they can dip lower in actual use. FWIW, on some audiophile forums folks have been espousing using 200watts per channel minimum to get the best out of these.
I do have pre-amps available, a Carver CT-seven and a Bryson 0.1 and soon a WHAMMY used as a preamp.
Given these speakers lowish impedance and purported need for power, which DIY amps might be best?
  • First Watt amps: I'm currently considering any of the First Watt amps (F4, F5, F6, MX BA), I might consider the F5t but I gather it's not a beginners project. Are any of First Watt amps better suited to a low impedance multi-way speaker than others? I have pre-amps with some gain.
  • Honey Badger: I am also considering the Honey Badger amp.
I've been using these speakers lately with class A amps lately (ACA 1.6 and a 20W early version of Aleph). The ACA shows its limitations with dense rock and orchestral music with these speakers. I wonder if I might be disappointed with a class AB amp. Might the higher power AB Honey Badger perform better with my speakers than a lower power Class A?

Difficulty of building is a big factor and cost is a factor, not necessarily the most important one. I'm not looking at building a pair of stereo amps to used as bridged monoblocks.

Thanks, Jim
Old 21st November 2018, 09:52 PM   #2
sq225917 is offline sq225917  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to sq225917 Suggest Amplifier for Shahininan Obelisk speakers
Modulus 286 will drive them and sound sweet doing it. In the UK they get used with, naim, exposure and the bigger dynavector amps.
Old 22nd November 2018, 01:48 AM   #3
Hook is offline Hook  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks, The Modulus is a chip amp for DIY I take it. The others seem to be commercial offerings. I'm looking to go DIY. Sounds like you are recommending amps with around 100w per channel.

Suggest Amplifier for Shahininan Obelisk speakersHide this!Advertise here!