Chip amp or Mosfet.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So here is the conundrum if you like. I am designing a 4-way loudspeaker and want to setup an active system. For a long time, I have considered the TDA7293 in parallel configuration and match the driver it will be paired with - yes, I am aware of the optimization thread here at diyaudio.
But my question is if I should spend the time with the TDA7293 or perhaps consider some Toshiba BJT's (perhaps TTA0002 / TTC0002) and build a mosfet amplifier, with the same idea of modifying the amp modules to match the power target for each driver.

In the end, they will demand fairly equal time in development. Using the description: As clear and transparent as possible - could be viewed as subjective, but I will use it anyways.

PS: I am a happy hobbyist who are learning about amplifiers, so can't say I can do it all on my own - but luckily, there are plenty of amplifiers to borrow solutions from :)I

So what say you: TDA7293 or Toshiba BJT's ?

Well, BJT's are not MOSFETs for a start.. so I guess what you mean is "chip amp or discrete amp"

A chip amp will be simpler for you to build and test, a discrete amp will give better performance.
Oh ghee's, I am so sorry. I made a huge blunder and you are right, they are not mosfet's.
The parallel TDA's can be a good start, but after reading a few pages on the optimization, I have realized that it will require some real efforts. That got me thinking. So I check with a fairly nice amplifier (Onkyo M-5000R) and considering borrowing solutions for the power amplification section on that one.

If you need more power than a chip amp will provide alone, I would definitely consider a discrete amp. Paralleling chip amps is not a good solution in my opinion.

Two members here spring to mind who do good power amp designs - Destroyer X and ostripper. Look around here, they've done great design work and have PCB layouts readily available

Sounds like a plan. There is also the Diyaudio "Honey Badger" which is a BJT amp with up to 250W in 4-ohm's. Since this amp is already done and ready, perhaps I could start with that one.
I will certainly start reading up on it, and also check out your tips :)

Many thanks

That's a nice idea, but I am going for the Honey Badger :)

In part, I want to be on par of other top contender amplifiers and got the taste for class AB when listening to a Norma REVO IPA-70B - (MOSFET).
In part I need a "platform" that allow me to have plenty of power available for the low end.
In part I want crystal clear sound with lots of dynamic range.... and so on.

Indeed it is. One of the reasons I backed off is that there are too many tweaks to get it right, and there is no way it can beat a really good discrete transistor amplifier.
I am not ruling it out as a small stereo amplifier for simpler jobs, its just that in the end, the Honey Badger is a much better solution for proper Hi-Fi when it comes to an active system.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.