Adcom GFA-5800 which capacitors?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I recently got an Adcom GFA-5800 for $50. I've used it as a subwoofer amplifier in my surround system. Then a friend told me that he has bought a new McIntosh and installed it as the stereo amp in his system - and that he was so in love with the result.

A long time ago I was also into high end fidelity but not anymore because of no time... so i thought. Until I hooked up the 5800 as my stereo amp (like my friend with his McIntosh) - and I was blown away. I have not heard music that good since I was young.

I found some smaller problems, a broken fan, a blown resistor and repaired it.

Now I'm thinking about new capacitors... the hifi bug got me back :)

I would like to ask if someone can tell me which capacitors I should replace and where I can buy new ones or similar ones?

Every help is much appreciated.

PS: I do have the GFA-5800 service manual if needed.

Muffed...

If it sounds good why do you want to be replacing parts? I have a 5800 amplifier also but nothing inside has been changed or altered. I wondered what speakers you are using. I am rather disappointed with my amplifier when connected to ML electrostatics. The high end is rolled off and the speakers sound like they are wrapped in heavy cloth a few times. Other amplifiers I have work well with the speakers and are rather impressive.

Service manual shows
4 x 24000uf/100V
2 x 4700uf/16V
4 x 1000uf/100V

No direct experiance with Adcom, it will come down in
part to available space/dimensions of the existing caps.

Should seriously consider a speaker protection circuit. maybe
a cheap chinese one if nothing else

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.