Switch between class A and class AB, how?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I was considering to try to buy one set of amplifire boards from aliexpress, they specify the output power both in Class A and Class AB.
In this type of amplifires, is there a switch where one can switch between the two classes, or how does it work, do you know?

What I think they meant - class AB amplifier has got some class A operating area. Normally it's relatively narrow, providing class A operation up to some low power limit - like 1W or so. It may vary, depending on the overall quiescent current of the output stage (OPS).

As soon as you increase the volume, you reach the point where the OPS halves start going off - then you are in the class B area.

So, for a class AB you can specify 2 power levels - class A power (normally it's relatively low - depends on the OPS bias level), and class AB power - which is a full-swing power of the amplifier.

Agree.
You may do it simply by increasing idle current beyond usual so you have more power in the Class A region.

It will increase dissipation, specially idle dissipation, but won´t change full power dissipation a lot if you don´t overdo it.

I guess (should do the Math in every case) that, say, biasing a 100W amp so the first 10W are pure Class A (instead of the usual 1 W or less) should provide most of the benefits without too much trouble, beyong increasing heatsinking somewhat, definitely way less than going Class A full tilt that is.

And if power supply is generously rated for full Class AB power (as it should), that extra waste of idle power should be relatively easy to handle.

Of course, amp will switch between classes all by itself, without any complicated circuit to do so ;)

I have a Electrocompaniet AW65 power amp, believe that it running under class AB mode.
If i were to transfer the entire pcb onto a much bigger heatsinks, can i run it in full Class A mode by just cranking up the bias current ?

Will these method works?
I will be happy if i can have 20W in pure class A from this amp.

A fair number of "Class A" advertised amplifiers are in class B portion well before they reach their rated power. A 100W Pure Class A amplifier would be one humongo amp. There are some that stay Class A at 8 ohms up to clipping, but they're a bit rare. And run them at low enough impedance and they transition to Class B.

The only sure way to stay in Class A up to clipping is to go with a single ended amp, as it can't transition to Class B. But that's not exactly an advantage.

Hello all,
Thank you very much.
So is i correct understood that when i play low volume, the amplifire will run in classe A, but when i increase volume...it wil automatically change into classe AB?

Nobody seem to answer this particular question :)

You're right - at the low volume you stay within class A operation.
As soon as you increase the volume - you enter class AB territory.
If you increase the bias, class A area becomes wider, allowing class A operation at higher volumes.

Picture below is a very schematic presentation of the principle.
The signals have different periods, but never mind - we are interested in their amplitude right now ;)

Attachments

• Class AB.jpg
    Class AB.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 137
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.