Recommendation please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am a total newbie so please forgive my ignorance. I currently own an Arcam A85 integrated amplifier which is connected to a pair of vintage recapped Klipsch Heresy II speakers. We use the stereo 24/7 as we play the tv through it and mostly stream music videos from YouTube although we are contemplating a subscription to Tidal. So from the media streamer we run to a very cheap DAC back to the amp. We also run a powered 10 inch subwoofer running 300 watts.

Our problem is that the stereo is not loud enough, the room is made of natural wood and very large so the sound disipates. We love the Heresy speakers and they are very sensitive 97db at 1 watt, 1 meter. The speakers can handle 100 wpc continuous and the Arcam only delivers 85 WPC.

My idea is to buy another pair of Heresy speakers and connecting them in parallel. This means that the impedance would go from 8 to 4 ohms.

I am looking for recommendations to power this sytem, an amplifier that could handle 300 WPC into 4 ohms, with a pre out for the subwoofer. I am hoping that both the addition of two more speakers as well as the change to a more powerful amp should significantly increase the audible volume without losing any clarity.

Thank you for your ideas in advance.

Joined 2011
the stereo is not loud enough, the room is made of natural wood and very large
so the sound disipates. We love the Heresy speakers and they are very sensitive

Adding another pair of speakers would only add 3dB in loudness. There may be
a gain problem with the source levels and the 700mV sensitivity of the Arcam.
Try a different preamp or integrated amplifier first.

An amplifier with twice the power would only allow a 3dB increase in volume level.
To get "twice" as loud, you would need around ten times the amplifier power.
Again though, your problem is probably not amplifier power.

Last edited:
the arcam A85 is not designed to "sound" a large room, even on klipsch.
if you want an amp like the arcam but more powerful and that is made for that, find you a C-AUDIO ST series (ST600 for example).
After all, Rayma is also right, you'll have trouble speaking to a large room with a single pair of speakers anyway and I do not think the Klipsch have a very high power handling, which brings us back to the basic problem , namely the selection of the amp AND speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.