What Quad Colorado do I need: Quad 303 power amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just bought a Quad pre/power amp, the power amp (model 303) someone must have e use corrosive materials to clean the front of it and alot of the paint has come off, does anyone know what type of colour paint Quad used? I could repaint/respray it with it then.

Screenshot_20181009-220034.jpg

Last edited:
Joined 2010
Paid Member
Seeing as that's the rear panel, it shouldn't be critical but you could remove the panel, prime and spray it with an auto retouching product that was close enough. I think the original may even be hammertone finish so matching the 1970s finish with a 2018 repair in a can from a store is going to be wishful thinking. Otherwise, Id blend a little fine copper into silver paint and adjust to correct colour for use with an air brush or retouching spraygun, if you have access to those.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I think the well-worn patch look is probably worse than having an unlabelled panel there. If you can match the finish closely from stock colours, I'd use dry transfer lettering like Letraset rather than paper labels, then carefully dust over (a dry application at some distance from the surface to avoid wetting and dissolving the transfers) with a clear lacquer and follow with a sealing coat. You can Google suppliers like Mayfair stationary and others in the UK if you need to view the font appearance.

As far as resale is concerned, you can't win with something that's already marred beyond simply touching-up or hiding the damage. A professional restoration would cost as much as a good condition 303 is really worth anyway and let's face it, the performance and sound quality of these is good but nothing to get excited about when compared to newer designs. For me, the value is in the aesthetic form. It's an iconic piece of clean, elegant design that should be on display somewhere.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.