TL084CN upgrade on a Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista 300 power amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You got bad case of upgrade-itis :D

Curious- Why are there thick ceramic spacers between the power devices and their heat sink on one side and not the other ?

Hehe nice one :) The right side of the amp is the side which I have recapped. ELNA Silmics are surely bigger. I have also used an aluminum oxide ceramic insulator from AAVID. Better thermal performance, you never need to replace it mpla mplah for the precious Sanken SAP15. They are very expensive and hard to find. (at least the originals)
Also this upgrade gave me the opportunity, (since it's 2mm thicker) to put the whole channel pcb on rubber washers for reduced microphonics. Something that the discreet line amp pcb had already from "mama" MF.

And to finally answer your question: I haven't start the left channel yet. :D

4180G Aavid | Mouser Greece

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
One thing to watch out for when replacing these opamps is oscillation. More modern opamps are generally faster and wider band, which is a good thing IF the circuit is designed for it.
Many people have replaced opamps with newer/faster ones and ended up with singing amps.
Doesn't always happen but you need to be aware and have some way of checking for it.

Jan

One thing to watch out for when replacing these opamps is oscillation. More modern opamps are generally faster and wider band, which is a good thing IF the circuit is designed for it.
Many people have replaced opamps with newer/faster ones and ended up with singing amps.
Doesn't always happen but you need to be aware and have some way of checking for it.

Jan

YouTube

:D

Jan

I feel that MF has designed the pcb with the opamps exhaustively for this kind of cases that could cause such problems with opamps.
I surely don't know what will happen with a much newer op amp. But I know that other amplifiers, who people tried to upgrade opamps, didn't even have a trimmer for op amp offset voltage fine tuning.

So I am just curious to see the end result.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.