Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

TL084CN upgrade on a Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista 300 power amp.
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th October 2018, 07:08 PM   #21
zavan is offline zavan  Greece
diyAudio Member

I would like also to add to the "opamp equation" question, the factor of trimmer. The pcb of opamps is currently using a single turn 10% Bourns 3362 trimmer per opamp. (two) What about the replacement with the following trimmer.

Y4053200R000J0L Vishay Precision Group Foil Resistors | Mouser Greece
Old 12th October 2018, 09:58 PM   #22
Bigun is offline Bigun  Canada
diyAudio Member

You got bad case of upgrade-itis

Curious- Why are there thick ceramic spacers between the power devices and their heat sink on one side and not the other ?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed." Robert M Pirsig.
Old 12th October 2018, 11:00 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigun View Post
You got bad case of upgrade-itis

Curious- Why are there thick ceramic spacers between the power devices and their heat sink on one side and not the other ?

Hehe nice one :-) The right side of the amp is the side which I have recapped. ELNA Silmics are surely bigger. I have also used an aluminum oxide ceramic insulator from AAVID. Better thermal performance, you never need to replace it mpla mplah for the precious Sanken SAP15. They are very expensive and hard to find. (at least the originals)
Also this upgrade gave me the opportunity, (since it's 2mm thicker) to put the whole channel pcb on rubber washers for reduced microphonics. Something that the discreet line amp pcb had already from "mama" MF.

And to finally answer your question: I haven't start the left channel yet.

4180G Aavid | Mouser Greece

Last edited by zavan; 12th October 2018 at 11:10 PM.
Old 13th October 2018, 12:36 AM   #24
jan.didden is online now jan.didden  Europe
diyAudio Member

One thing to watch out for when replacing these opamps is oscillation. More modern opamps are generally faster and wider band, which is a good thing IF the circuit is designed for it.
Many people have replaced opamps with newer/faster ones and ended up with singing amps.
Doesn't always happen but you need to be aware and have some way of checking for it.

Jan
Old 13th October 2018, 12:48 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post
One thing to watch out for when replacing these opamps is oscillation. More modern opamps are generally faster and wider band, which is a good thing IF the circuit is designed for it.
Many people have replaced opamps with newer/faster ones and ended up with singing amps.
Doesn't always happen but you need to be aware and have some way of checking for it.

Jan

YouTube

Old 13th October 2018, 01:20 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post

Jan
I feel that MF has designed the pcb with the opamps exhaustively for this kind of cases that could cause such problems with opamps.
I surely don't know what will happen with a much newer op amp. But I know that other amplifiers, who people tried to upgrade opamps, didn't even have a trimmer for op amp offset voltage fine tuning.

So I am just curious to see the end result.

TL084CN upgrade on a Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista 300 power amp.Hide this!Advertise here!