Do I need a crossover?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello guys!

I have got some descent quality passive speakers that I need to put to good use. Still an armature at this, so forgive my ignorance. Its a 2.1 set. The woofer is a 6.5", 4 ohm, 20 watt driver. The tweeters, 3", 6 ohms, 10 watts each. I do understand that the resistance of a driver is a major contributing factor in the design of an amp and determines the supply voltage as well, so I plan to build two amps, one for the woofer and the other for the tweeters. I'm however confused about whether or not to add a crossover. I tested the speakers once before, all connected to the same amp and the frequencies seems to find their way to the appropriate speaker, probably because of the resonance of the speakers, but i figured without a cross over network, would i be operating the system inefficiently?

It's a small system and losses due to inefficiency might not be relevant considering I'm still new at all this and it might be too early to worry about cross-overs, but how else would i progress with the hobby?

So, would a cross-over network be more efficient, or better still, would i get better sound out of the speakers? I really wouldn't might forgetting the crossover if the sound quality is marginally improved, after-all, i haven't any ideas where to start with cross-overs!

Joined 2011
I plan to build two amps, one for the woofer and the other for the tweeters.
I'm however confused about whether or not to add a crossover.

The tweeter can't take low frequencies without damage, so you do need a high pass filter.
It could be located either before or after the tweeter amplifier.
The woofer can be used full range, if the tweeter high pass filter is worked out well enough.

Last edited:
The tweeter can't take low frequencies without damage, so you do need a high pass filter.
It could be located either before or after the tweeter amplifier.
The woofer can be used full range, if the tweeter high pass filter is worked out well enough.

I'm thinking before the amp. Smaller components required which makes things a little easier. Does that mean that the woofer would physically filter the higher frequencies out because of its larger mass cone? I really wouldn't mind a passive low side, low pass filter. I believe i can manage that.

Joined 2011
I'm thinking before the amp. Smaller components required which makes things a little easier.
Does that mean that the woofer would physically filter the higher frequencies out because
of its larger mass cone?

Right, and its size. This is often done, and can work very well. A filter before the amp is fine,
just take into account the source and load impedances when designing the filter.
You may need either a series tweeter resistor, or a pad at the amp input, to match levels.

Last edited:
I'm thinking that would be the output cap, right?
But why wouldn't a polarised capacitor work? :confused:
Yes, I am considering the situation of placing a crossover cap between the output of the amp and the tweeter.

Only non polar capacitors are suitable as loudspeaker crossover capacitors.

Inside an amp's circuitry, where there is a dc polarising voltage present along with the ac signal voltage, is where you find polarised electrolytics.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.