Amp Filters

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Filter out the extreme hi/low frequencies. In ye olden days, some recordings contained a
lot of background noise/hiss. Hi filter may improve this. Likewise there can be low

frequecy hum where the low filter can improve. Downside is you will also filter out audio
content, it's your choice, it's non-fatal, if you have an old recording then try it. I prefer all
filters off and tone circuit bypassed.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Low-pitch sounds, bass, is say 100Hz down.

High pitch sounds, cymbal, is say 5,000Hz or 5KHz up.

Switches "flat", the Pioneer 9500ll gives the same gain from 10Hz to 80KHz, far below and above what any music, or your speakers, covers.

The Pioneer 9500ll's low filter can cut-off anything below 15Hz, or 30Hz. This is still more than is on most records, or will come out of most speakers.

Its high filter cuts-off above 12KHz or 8KHz. In general music has little content way up here, but it may be the sparkle on the treat. On the other hand sometimes it is just stray hiss, particularly on dirty records or on radio. The high filter may reduce hiss more than music.

Both are quite tame. In my opinion they were put on for "Wow!" sell-factor more than any general need. My Yamaha has similar levers and I never mess with them. My speakers don't go much below 65Hz, my ears have not heard 10KHz in a long time. Even in my youth, few musical passages would reveal a 10KHz high filter.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
These filters work before amplifier clipping.

A side-note: the last time I wanted to filter-out 15Hz, I was recording in a stone church above a highway. Truck rumble below 32Hz was as strong as some of the softer passages. Like anybody doing good recording, I had post-production tools to sort the garbage from the music (when possible). The final cut had some rumble but not near as bad as it was live.

The time(s) before that were cheap old turntables with massive subsonic rumble. Could not hear it but at high level it would jiggle the music. The fix for that should be a better turntable.

A low filter removes low rumbling sounds that may cause your woofer to flap around unnecessarily. It may also reduce background hum sound.
A high filter removes some hiss types sounds or high pitch squeals.
Both these deliberately reduce the fidelity of the sound so you only use them to improve sound that has a problems. If you have a good quality source them you leave these filters off.

WHy ? All the playback system is *affected* by lowpass filters, being it a RIAA phono preamp, the cables themselves, the anti-RF net at the input of the amplifier and the difficulty of most tweeters to get past 15 kHz. Oh, the anti-aliasing filter at CD output stage but, if you play vynil & cassettes ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.