First cycle distortion - Graham, what is that?

If this (hearing LSB changes in H2 and H3 both down around -120dB) is not a super human hearing claim, than perhaps Iron Man is your neighbor. Those who wish can follow the context of the above.

I probably have below average hearing as far as my ears are concerned. I have age related hearing loss, more in one ear than the other. That makes careful listening harder for me than it might be for other people

Regarding what I can hear, I already showed I could sort noninverting opamp buffers (designed and built by PMA) in order of distortion by ear and do it blind. PMA gave me credit in one of his listening test threads for it. It was damn hard, but I did manage to sort all but the last one because I was exhausted from the mental effort involved.

Its all about how the brain has learned to process sound before it reaches conscious awareness, nothing else. Other people can and have learned how to do it too. Those who haven't learned may not believe its possible. Some of them get quite angry when they read such words, but none of them have done any science to see if its possible or not. Their belief is more like religion than science, I am sad to say. And of course, people can get angry if they feel their religion is threatened. I expected more from smart, well-educated people until I realized they are just as biased as anyone else, perhaps some being more biased than average.

sin08, did I draw the block diagram of your amplifier correctly?
I have two requests for you:

1. Please show the delay graph or delay of any kind of signal (sine, square, triangular) with a frequency higher than 10 kHz at the output of this amplifier in relation to the input signal
2. Show the graph of the loop gain

p.s. I'm just too lazy to type a model of a complete circuit to check these parameters

Sorry, I don't have time for useless work.

syn08, it would be enough for me to look at the GD of your amplifier to predict how it will sound. Instead of your circuit, I typed the circuit of the prototype - Cherry amplifier. Here are the results of his testing. It’s not surprising to me that this amplifier received such a response.

New Cherry NDFL amp
«But I also have to say that the amplifier sounds typically 1 dimensional solid state, with no real space to the image and that Hugh Deans latest creation, with 100 X more THD1 distortion sounds much better. So I have to put this technique alongside the other excellent academic articles I have read and participated in. Excellent in theory, measures well in practice (as far as my modest test capability allows) but does not live up to the expectation audibly.

As an engineer this is disappointing, but based on recent experience, not entirely unexpected!

I am fast going down the road of the minimum number of components the better and ironically this seems to work equally well for the ear and the pocket!»

Markw4:
«I expected more from smart, well-educated people until I realized they are just as biased as anyone else, perhaps some being more biased than average.»

To be honest, I also expected more ...

Attachments

• Cherry-1983_Bode.png
    Cherry-1983_Bode.png
    47 KB · Views: 151
  • Cherry-1983_Loop-Gain.png
    Cherry-1983_Loop-Gain.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 145
  • Cherry-1983_10period_THDvsFrequensy.png
    Cherry-1983_10period_THDvsFrequensy.png
    75.2 KB · Views: 138
  • Cherry-1983_4period_THDvsFrequensy.png
    Cherry-1983_4period_THDvsFrequensy.png
    77 KB · Views: 129
  • Cherry-1983_IMD_19-20kHz.png
    Cherry-1983_IMD_19-20kHz.png
    27.7 KB · Views: 122
  • Cherry-1983_crossover-dist.png
    Cherry-1983_crossover-dist.png
    37.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
I probably have below average hearing as far as my ears are concerned. I have age related hearing loss, more in one ear than the other.

So one person with hearing loss can be trained to hear things well over the average person, correct?

Nice, can a person with vision loss also be trained to see the Mars satellites naked eyes? Or perhaps the Saturn rings? Or the training applies only to hearing?

What is your hourly rate for such hearing training, must be something you may want to monetize on? Any prerequisites for the hearing training sessions?

Joined 2005
Paid Member
syn08, it would be enough for me to look at the GD of your amplifier to predict how it will sound. Instead of your circuit, I typed the circuit of the prototype - Cherry amplifier. Here are the results of his testing. It’s not surprising to me that this amplifier received such a response.

New Cherry NDFL amp
«But I also have to say that the amplifier sounds typically 1 dimensional solid state, with no real space to the image and that Hugh Deans latest creation, with 100 X more THD1 distortion sounds much better. So I have to put this technique alongside the other excellent academic articles I have read and participated in. Excellent in theory, measures well in practice (as far as my modest test capability allows) but does not live up to the expectation audibly.

As an engineer this is disappointing, but based on recent experience, not entirely unexpected!

I am fast going down the road of the minimum number of components the better and ironically this seems to work equally well for the ear and the pocket!»

Markw4:
«I expected more from smart, well-educated people until I realized they are just as biased as anyone else, perhaps some being more biased than average.»

To be honest, I also expected more ...

I’ll humor you, simply because I’m prototyping a new minimalist amplifier design anyway. What are your design requirements for this ‘magic’ to work? I’ll see if I can incorporate them into my design and I’d be happy to then give it a listen, as well as make some in-depth measurements of course. Frankly, tinkering with DIY audio is all I’ll be doing anyway with the lockdown in our country.