Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Looking for a little power amp project (spoilt for choice on here)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th September 2018, 11:43 AM   #31
xrk971 is offline xrk971  United States
Got Foam?
diyAudio Member

The USSA-5 is a highly regarded amp and on my to-build list. I have all the parts in fact, but I am not sure it’s appropriate project for the OP who said this is his first step up from a TPA3116 class D amp. I would say it’s an amp for a seasoned builder with at least a couple of discrete Class A or AB amps under his/her belt. The power supply is much more than SMPS brick and a cap Mx, then there are the parts costs (the actives alone run circa $175 IIRC), and there is setup adjustment to zero offset and set bias. This is where the Alpha is a bit better. Same PSU and chassis requirement but inexpensive easy to find actives and no setup adjustments.
Old 19th September 2018, 11:51 AM   #32
mbrennwa is offline mbrennwa  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari1 View Post
Your desires for small chassis and class a mean low wattage and low bias. Class a is all about bias and heat dissapation. Go with a bigger chassis.
Or with class AB amp that operates in class A most of the time. This saves a lot of the heat/size issue. The Honey Badger is great.
Old 19th September 2018, 12:37 PM   #33
Puggie is offline Puggie  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

To be fair, I'm new to scratch building amps, but I do build satellites from build manuals and spent 7 years teching in a studio repairing quad 405s, studer tape machines and endlessly recapping a large neve mixing desk. So I'm not a noob from the build/assembly point of view, just new to the plethora of amp designs available. Neither am I particularly knowledgeable about amp design which is why I want to start with a simple class a, half the point of this is to get a better understanding of discrete electronics, the nice amp at the end is a well engineered byproduct!

I've dug out a heatsink, 350mm long 95mm tall (once I've faced the cut edge off) with 50mm long combined fins and base. I hope to cut this into two to make a stereo (ACA) amp.
Old 19th September 2018, 01:13 PM   #34
e_fortier is offline e_fortier  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acg View Post
USSA-5 is circa 25w Class A. Not sure if it would fit in your chassis though...it might. There is a GB on here for the amp and for the power supplies.
+1

Also, help from Fab if you have any questions along the way is simply amazing!

Looking for a little power amp project (spoilt for choice on here)Hide this!Advertise here!