Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Lateral Mosfets Double Die TO-3 ESP P101
Lateral Mosfets Double Die TO-3 ESP P101
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th September 2018, 05:11 PM   #21
a1095us is offline a1095us  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Double Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Finch View Post
As I understand, the OP wants to use TO3 parts because the chassis already has provision for mounting them. That makes sense, rather than hacking the heatsink about, unless absolutely necessary.

The problem is that whilst Lateral mosfets are a sure-fire and simply applied device, the metal can varieties are close to un-obtanium presently. There was yet another thread here only week or so ago, moaning about general scarcity of lateral mosfets - check the recent threads if interested in the suggestions but I don't think you'll find much stock of genuine TO3 parts presently, let alone the double-die varieties.
From the current Profusion site. Ordering shortly!
Attached Images
File Type: png Exicon.png (46.6 KB, 331 views)
Old 17th September 2018, 05:42 PM   #22
ctrlx is offline ctrlx  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanlukic View Post
Rod's boards are for two pairs of TO3P latfets (flatpack plastic types), not for TO3! Here is the pic of my ESP P101 build.
ivan, can you tell me what is the clipping performance at 10KHz for this amp?
Old 17th September 2018, 06:12 PM   #23
ivanlukic is offline ivanlukic  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Keep in mind that in their application note Hitachi explicitly suggests that Laterals should be directly soldered to the PCB and to keep connection between output transistors and PCB as short as possible to prevent oscillation. What Tandberg did was not ideal and could be the source of troubles. I think that malfunction could have been caused by that unfortunate detail.
Old 17th September 2018, 06:21 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlx View Post
ivan, can you tell me what is the clipping performance at 10KHz for this amp?
I never tested it at clipping power because unfortunately I don't have that powerful 8 Ohm dummy load. I tested it at 4 Ohm dummy at lower powers and noticed some strange oscillation bursts but my build was with 68nF bypass caps instead of 100nF. When I desoldered 68nF and put 100nF that bursts disappeared. I think that 220nF would be even better. I built it in 2012 and used original Hitachi Latfets.

I must say that I always like the sound of amplifiers with one pair of outputs more than same amplifier with two or more output pairs. For P101 I used two pairs because I had a stock of Hitachi latfets but I think that it would be better if I used only one pair. I only build home amplifiers, never sound reinforcement amplifiers.

Last edited by ivanlukic; 17th September 2018 at 06:26 PM.
Old 17th September 2018, 06:24 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Keep in mind that in their application note Hitachi explicitly suggests that Laterals should be directly soldered to the PCB and to keep connection between output transistors and PCB as short as possible to prevent oscillation. What Tandberg did was not ideal and could be the source of troubles. I think that malfunction could have been caused by that unfortunate detail.
If you would read the posts carefully, you would see that I stated the amplifier section never failed in all the many years I used the Tandberg. The multi-wafer selector switch and other controls were the demise of the 3012 amp.
If you keep the wiring short, you should not have an issue.
I have built a few this way without problems. Bias adjusts fine and looks good on a scope. I think you are over-reacting a bit!
Old 18th September 2018, 09:34 AM   #26
ctrlx is offline ctrlx  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I never tested it at clipping power because unfortunately I don't have that powerful 8 Ohm dummy load..

you can test with no load, BRIEFLY! (the zobel R will disspate about 0.3W assuming 10R/0.1uF at 40Vpeak/10KHz sine.)
Old 18th September 2018, 02:48 PM   #27
Kris0603 is offline Kris0603  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I love the Exicon laterals of my Fetzilla, was thinking, could a P-channel lateral serve in something like the SissySIT?
Old 19th September 2018, 08:35 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctrlx View Post
you can test with no load, BRIEFLY! (the zobel R will disspate about 0.3W assuming 10R/0.1uF at 40Vpeak/10KHz sine.)
I used 4R dummy load at 10kHz. Here is the scope result. Not exactly what I expected. I expected nice flat line at the clipping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ESP P101 10kHz 4R clipping.jpg (677.4 KB, 264 views)
Old 19th September 2018, 03:52 PM   #29
Ian Finch is offline Ian Finch  Australia
diyAudio Member

That could be due to the measurement method but the preceding circuitry could be rounding off the leading edges too.
Old 13th March 2019, 12:20 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Default Tandberg P101 Progress

ESP P101 amp built from Tandberg 3012 transformer and heat sink assembly.
Barely Luke warm with 30mA bias. Sound is exceptionally clean.
Power light with standby and on condition. Light for speaker relay status.
Need to clean up the wiring a bit. More to come.

More to come
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0179.jpg (906.1 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0180.jpg (449.1 KB, 158 views)

Lateral Mosfets Double Die TO-3 ESP P101Hide this!Advertise here!