Amplifiers for passive subwoofers for ESLs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

The first thing I want to say is that I’m not a DIY audio person, I just don’t have the knowhow. I hope no one minds me posting this here.

I have a pair of ESL 63s, and I’ve recently acquired a pair of Gradient subwoofers, and a crossover made by MT.

It sounds fabulous, but I have a problem. At the moment I’m using a 35W p c old Rotel integrated amp for the subwoofers, it’s just a stopgap, it’s not satisfactory. I’ve had to set the low cut to 25HZ. I listen to organ music and where there’s a 16’ pipe played low you can hear how much the system struggles!

I want to buy a new amp - and hence this post. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good off the shelf power amp for these subwoofers?

And there’s another thing. Some amps cause a ground loop hum which I just can’t get rid of, others are just fine. The problem is well known, it’s mentioned in the Gradient user manual in fact. If anyone has any any ideas if there’s a safe way of eliminating the hum if it happens, it may make the range of amps available to me wider.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.