Citation 17 preamp - in use, no output for about 5 secs every 10 minutes or so

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Citation 17 preamp - a previous owner has re-capped it, looks like they did a nice job. Sounds very good only about every 10 minutes or so the output just stops for about 5 seconds as if it were shut off but after the approximate 5 seconds, sound can be heard again and it's as though nothing happened.
My thoughts was the output board so I took it out and examined it but as mentioned, someone has re-capped it and everything looks good. This has the boards that are attached to the chassis with connectors, you basically just pull them out , makes them really easy to work on, and I did find one of the solder pads on the connector had a poor connection so I fixed it but everything else looked fine.
I thought the problem would be in the power supply board or the output boards, but examined them thoroughly, looked fine to me. I did only give the other boards a cursory look.
If you flip it over there are test points for all of the boards and the voltages are printed right on the chassis and I went thru them all and all of the voltages were pretty much right on which wasn't surprising - I'm guessing a component heats up and gives an intermittant failure - for about 5 seconds -
wondering if anyone might have any ideas, could tell me what to check etc ?
I really enjoy this preamp, especially when mated with a Counterpoint SA-12 amp but this intermittant failure really ruins a good listening session

Joined 2011
Last edited:
Finally updating you on this. After replacing the cap it was still doing it. I didn't have enough to do them all but tho they were still in spec, I did have the right values to replace the resistors in that immediate area so I swapped them in - was still doing it. I was ordering some other stuff from Mouser so I went ahead and ordered a new Q1, a MPSA13, thought maybe it was breaking down when it heated up.
Swapped it in yesterday and now I'm not really sure what's going on. At 1st I thought it fixed the problem but of course right after thinking that, it went silent for about 5 seconds. Before, once it started it would happen , guessing, like every 30-45 minutes. Now, after replacing Q1, it did it the 1st time after I'd been listening to it for about 2 1/2 - 3 hours but then it didn't happen again for a long time - guessing it was like 3 hours later. Today I fired it up again, after about an hour it went silent for the 5 seconds but it's been a couple hours now and hasn't done it since.........

sorry so long for the update. Makes me feel even more stupid but the problem is solved....turned out that there is a window a/c on the same ac line and every time it kicked on and off, it muted the stereo for some reason. Color me stupid.
I do thank u for your time trying to help me.

sincerely appreciate the tip and will give it a try but pretty sure the problem is the computer. Just moved it to a OneAC medical line conditioner I have but still doing it and am renting so re-doing ac lines is out of the question. Easy enuff to try so will swap in the cap and see what happens.
Do know, time u have taken to help me out is sincerely appreciated, especially keeping it simple enuff even I can understand :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.