Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

My attempts at a design of a 3 stage amplifier
My attempts at a design of a 3 stage amplifier
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th July 2019, 04:03 PM   #611
edbarx is offline edbarx  Malta
diyAudio Member

The earth connection has been previously secured with an insulated bolt to the bottom of the amplifier box. This has been exchanged with a longer stainless steel bolt. In the original setup, the paint at the contact area has not been removed. The only contact is from the sides of the drilled hole in the metal. To improve the contact I removed some paint, butn found the paint is quite tough to remove. I will uncrew the bolt and remove more paint to obtain a better earth connection to the amplifier box. Aside from regulations, this connection can be a life saver, and I haven't yet given up to living on this planet.

The input circuitry, now shares the same ground as power. Using a separating 10R resistor resulted in more pronouced issues. I remember from reading Douglas Self that an input cascode which is biased from a voltage devider outside the input stage, may suffer hum issues: Self remarks nobody yet understands why.

Simulating for the current source feeding the input stage, I found it is modulated by the input signals and power supply ripple. I am associating the little remaining hum/buzz with a current source that deviates from having an infinite output impedance. I also found the bias supplying the current sources can be further made independent of power supply modulation.

The Huge Toroidal Transformer:
I did several tests to determine whether the huge toroidal transformer, is injecting hum/buzz signals in the input stage via magnetic induction. All tests indicate this is not the case, or if it is, the effect must be very minimal.
Old 20th July 2019, 04:41 PM   #612
diyAudio Member

Replacing the input stage's current source with an ideal current source, resulted in no modulation and no ripple fed into the VAS. This confirms I am on the right track.
Old 20th July 2019, 08:27 PM   #613
mjona is offline mjona  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

You need to review the values of R9 and R30 in your current mirror.

For more information run a search "comments on audio power amplifier design handbook by douglas self" and read section 3.

There is an example you can look up on this site - the popular Explendid amplifier which demonstrates the point. This does not have a cascode stage in the LTP however there is a Technics high power amplifier that does which uses 680R emitter resistors.

Last edited by mjona; 20th July 2019 at 08:32 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:45 PM   #614
diyAudio Member

Rail decoupling filters for the input stage are being confirmed to improve the performance of the input stage. Removing them for testing purposes, resulted in increased hum issues.

The 10R ground splitting resistor is used to reduce earth loop currents due to different earth potentials. However, I am still mulling where is the best place for this in my amplifier schematic. I would like to keep the input and output with a continous ground, and insert such a resistor just before the input. This way, unwanted ground currents from an external music player should be reduced.

Using a cascode for the input stage current mirror reduced the ripple to 55uV peak to peak. The modulation of the current mirror's output was still modulated by the ripple, but to a much lesser extent.

This may be naive on my part:
I am after ZERO modulation of the input current mirror's output current.
Old Yesterday, 05:56 PM   #615
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbarx View Post
Rail decoupling filters for the input stage are being confirmed to improve the performance of the input stage. Removing them for testing purposes, resulted in increased hum issues.

The 10R ground splitting resistor is used to reduce earth loop currents due to different earth potentials. However, I am still mulling where is the best place for this in my amplifier schematic. I would like to keep the input and output with a continous ground, and insert such a resistor just before the input. This way, unwanted ground currents from an external music player should be reduced.

Using a cascode for the input stage current mirror reduced the ripple to 55uV peak to peak. The modulation of the current mirror's output was still modulated by the ripple, but to a much lesser extent.

This may be naive on my part:
I am after ZERO modulation of the input current mirror's output current.
You have not commented on the point I made about increasing the emitter resistor values for the current mirror transistors.

That seems to suggest you think you know it all in which case why are you asking this question.
Old Yesterday, 09:09 PM   #616
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjona View Post
You have not commented on the point I made about increasing the emitter resistor values for the current mirror transistors.

That seems to suggest you think you know it all in which case why are you asking this question.
Had I known it all, this project would have been completed months ago. But, alas, I cannot get rid of this hum. Regarding increasing the emitter resistors of the current mirror, I simulated increasing the resistance to 330R, but did not get simulation results that suggest this will correct the output hum. The only changes that suggest the hum will be reduced are using rail decoupling and a cascode for the input stage current mirror.
Old Today, 06:39 AM   #617
diyAudio Member

If you run the Tian plot for your circuit you will see the gain at 1Hz is less than 30 dB. That is less than the 35 dB of closed loop gain you are expecting this to deliver.

A simulation I posted last year had 76 dB of gain at 1Hz and 25.7 dB of closed loop gain leaving roughly 50 dB to deal with distortion and hum.

I suggest you go back over your files to the point prior to incorporating the circuit protection where some resistor values in the driver stage might have changes to accommodate that addition - then run a Tian test on one of these.

My attempts at a design of a 3 stage amplifierHide this!Advertise here!