Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

My attempts at a design of a 3 stage amplifier
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd November 2018, 08:51 PM   #291
edbarx is offline edbarx  Malta
diyAudio Member

Silence does not mean I abandoned the project. It only means a steeper uphill path is slowing the project's progress.
Old 6th November 2018, 09:29 AM   #292
diyAudio Member

Some Questions:

a) Is a simple pre-driver amplifier circuit possible to have a very low distortion and high stability? [ distortion < 0.01%; thermal quiescent current stability, no self oscillations at all output levels ]

b) I suspect my never-ending quest to devise a pre-driver circuit with the above characteristics, and yet having a very low component count, is an impossible feat. Am I right?

c) Is it possible to use a very simple circuit to drive the drivers of a large power amplifier?

I tried the above until I couldn't stand more my aching tired head.

If I am running after the wind, please, reply explaining why, but please do it civilly.
Old 6th November 2018, 03:18 PM   #293
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

I thought you were happy enough to build a prototype of your design a few days ago but then you keep moving the design goals.

High power high voltage amps are never straightforward and I know you were trying to make your design retain an existing output stage configuration which again is another limiting factor.

Sometimes you can be better to start again with a clean sheet and explore different topologies (and their problems ) and hopefully their solutions.

Success always stands on the shoulders of failure (unfortunately).
Old 6th November 2018, 03:49 PM   #294
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooly
High power high voltage amps are never straightforward
That means expecting a very simple pre-driver circuit is contrary to amplifier design experience.

I saved all circuits: those that performed well in LTSpice are saved. I can refer to those.

I am modifying the original amplifier circuits so that the output transistors are isolated from ground. This will allow me to use the common grounding scheme that uses the 0V rail as ground.
Old 6th November 2018, 07:02 PM   #295
diyAudio Member

The MJE15033 and MJE15032 are rated at Ic_max=8A and Vce_max=250V. A maximum current of 8A means the die area is too big to be used for a VAS as the parasitic collector-base capacitance is dependent on the area of the die. While I will keep the best performing circuit unchanged I will use the 2S3600 and 2SA1406 which are rated at Vce_max=200V and Ic_max=100mA. This is a reduction of current handling by a factor of 80 times. With this change I expect the VAS's parasitics should be greatly reduced.

My attempts at a design of a 3 stage amplifierHide this!Advertise here!