Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

My attempts at a design of a 3 stage amplifier
My attempts at a design of a 3 stage amplifier
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st September 2018, 05:17 PM   #161
Gnobuddy is offline Gnobuddy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by currentflow View Post
MATE is one of the best lightweight Linux desktop environments
The surprise for me was that MATE turned out to run much faster than both LXDE and XFCE (both frequently touted as "light" desktop environments.)

I have no previous experience with MATE, though I have been Linux-only in my personal life for most of two decades now. By the time MATE came along, I had switched to XFCE to avoid the growing disasters that both Gnome and KDE had become.

There is a build of Tiny Core Linux for the RPi, and that holds promise to be much lighter than even MATE. Tiny Core does require some tinkering, though, while Ubuntu MATE worked flawlessly for me right away.
Quote:
Can you not mount the Pi & sound card on the rear or the monitor first, then attach that to a music stand? It would need to be a fairly sturdy stand to take the weight!
That's pretty much the plan. I have the beefy music stand already. The devil is in the details - protecting the Pi from physical damage, figuring out what to do with the jumble of cables and power supplies, and either packaging a mouse and full-size keyboard with the RPi (which means building a keyboard tray on the music stand), or finding some other more compact user interface.

I bought one RPi case that turned out to be both crude and poorly designed - I need tweezers to insert or remove the micro SD card.

-Gnobuddy
Old 21st September 2018, 07:55 PM   #162
currentflow is offline currentflow  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnobuddy View Post
I have no previous experience with MATE, though I have been Linux-only in my personal life for most of two decades now. By the time MATE came along, I had switched to XFCE to avoid the growing disasters that both Gnome and KDE had become.
Gnome 3 and Unity are particularly 'special' DEs! Why these were traded for Gnome 2's highly productive interface, I cannot imagine. Maybe it's an age thing
Quote:
There is a build of Tiny Core Linux for the RPi, and that holds promise to be much lighter than even MATE. Tiny Core does require some tinkering, though, while Ubuntu MATE worked flawlessly for me right away.
I'll look into this, although I normally use RPis as GUI-free headless devices, such as VPN servers, Wi-Fi hotspots and firewall/routers.

Good luck with your RPi ruggedisation!
Old 21st September 2018, 09:39 PM   #163
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Maybe it's an age thing
Mebbe both age, and Apple-thinking. In a few more years, I expect the standard computer/phone user interface will be a single large happy smiley-face icon that fills the screen; you poke at it with your thumb, it takes a selfie of you, uploads it all over the Internet, winks at you, phones home to Apple's server-farm and uploads your DNA sequence, plays you a short video of a kitten falling off a flower-pot, and finally uses AI to try to guess what you actually wanted to do.

The iSmile will be the only way you can interact with your Apple device.

Linux will have a similar interface, the oh-so-cleverly named xiSmile (the x is silent.)

Android will have a friendly cat face instead, known as CougarLollipop.

And Microsoft? They'll bring back Clippy.

If it's an Apple device, it will also come with only the shiny new Dunderbolt interface, which replaces all previous interfaces including the Apple Display Connector (APB), USB, HDMI, Lightning, etc.

Unfortunately, the new Dunderbolt interface only works with Dunderbolt-compatible accessories sold or approved by Apple. A Dunderbolt-compatible set of ear-buds is available for a mere $499.99 USD.

I'm off to file a patent for the iSmile concept. If Apple's legal department hasn't already done so, that is.

-Gnobuddy
Old Yesterday, 07:35 AM   #164
currentflow is offline currentflow  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnobuddy View Post
Mebbe both age, and Apple-thinking...
There are rumours there will be yet another new Apple product, complete with direct neural interfacing (DNI). The user interface is expected to be USB-based using the latest USB-F connector with a bandwidth rating of 40GB/s. This permits insertion that’s not only fully reversible, but also infinitely reversible and is fully backwards compatible with a 3.5mm jack plug. A USB-F socket is conveniently installed at the back of the user’s head, thus avoiding physical connector damage should the user become distracted and inadvertently walk into a virtual blue-screen wall (originally developed by Microsoft). It is envisaged that this will be known as the iScream. To avoid ground loops, a fully synthesised diode-and-resistor-free ground lift system is in development based on ‘70s footwear technology, codenamed “Platform-lift”. This easily achieves the required minimum 3” (76.2mm) separation from reality.

Research has shown great enthusiasm for this product as every member of the trial team was found to utter a variant of the product name on insertion of the neural connector.

Android have expressed an interest in forming a merger with Apple using their latest V45.0 Sandwich OS and anticipate the joint venture could be named iScream-Sandwich. Sounds familiar?

Last edited by currentflow; Yesterday at 07:47 AM.
Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM   #165
diyAudio Member

Quote:
iScream-Sandwich.

-Gnobuddy

My attempts at a design of a 3 stage amplifierHide this!Advertise here!