Newbie intrested in repair and tweaking

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, if you just want to play around with a few to "get the ropes" you can always scout some garage and yard sales for old receivers. A lot of what you'll run into isn't covered in most how-to books and is best learned by experience or training AND experience...especially when it comes to vintage stuff. Many of the original parts aren't available and subsitution becomes necessary, but you need to fully understand the circuitry to accurately determine the suitable replacement. Otherwise, you'll keep working on the set over and over and....

EnvisionAudio said:
Well, if you just want to play around with a few to "get the ropes" you can always scout some garage and yard sales for old receivers. A lot of what you'll run into isn't covered in most how-to books and is best learned by experience or training AND experience...especially when it comes to vintage stuff. Many of the original parts aren't available and subsitution becomes necessary, but you need to fully understand the circuitry to accurately determine the suitable replacement. Otherwise, you'll keep working on the set over and over and....

LMAO
I am a garage sale junkie :cool: I found the best deal last summer a david halfer DH-500 I picked it up for $4.00 US yup thats $4.00 US. the guy who sold it did not know what was wrong with it, I brought it home removed the cover and pluged it in and noticed smoke rolling from the rocker switch :D I spent around $10.00 on the thing and it works great.

So how did you get started Envision ?

kmfdm_mdfmk said:

I spent around $10.00 on the thing and it works great.

So how did you get started Envision ?
There you go! That's a heck of a deal!!

I got started "fixing" stuff when I was about 8...bascially taking stuff apart to analyze the guts and usually breaking something in the process. 11 years after that I received an AA in Electronics Maintenance at a community college which wasn't half bad - I was trying to formalize what I already had learned, except they taught television repair which I STILL hate. (I was showing the class AND the instructor how to repair a Pioneer car amplifier!). Now, at 25, I own my own business that's soon to move out of my house into a retail location.

I also enjoy designing audio equipment - amplifiers and signal processors are my favorite, along with specialized test equipment. Usually I brainstorm with other folks on project ideas and pursue them independantly - sometimes successfully and sometimes not. ;)

I was referred to this site by Digi, whom I've met on the partsexpress.com tech board, so I'm relatively new here...

I have found that Tranistor sub books.
verry helpfull.ecg tranistor book,RCA tranistors books.
will give data on bios voltage/wattage and outher data,
to compair.Replacement options,Find Electronics Parts Seller Companty,
Ask them what brand of Semiconductor They Sell Ask for Sub. Catalog,
this should be helpfull ,

Good Luck from; 4ROB
San Francisco,Ca.

In the old days, mechanics had to buy the schematics. Nowadays, vintage schematics can be found easily on the net for free. It is the "only" thing you need for the job.

Basic understanding about bias is needed when there is that pot to set the bias.

Many idiots (who doesn't know the difference between NPN and PNP) can fix amps. All they do is to remove all the transistors (may be diodes also) and check with cheap multimeter. Also replacing suspicious capacitors.

Go to the NTE website and download their Quick Cross software. It and the huge number of datasheets on the web will help identify active devices you run across.
The Homer Davidson repair books are simple enough for someone with basic electronics knowledge. They include lots of specific case histories and general equipment info. I like Robert G. Middleton's books. I've lately been into Handbook of Solid-State Troubleshooting by Hershal Gardner, a mid-'70s book I got for cheap at the used bookstore.
My best advice is to just dive in. Learning how things work right will help you learn what's wrong when they don't, so don't limit yourself too much.
The most important equipment for general audio repair may be a multimeter, signal injector/tracer, and oscilloscope.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.