Best Build For a Novice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,
I've never built an amp before, but I'm an avid DIYer and I'd like to give it a shot. The range of high-quality sound amplifiers I've listened to is exactly 0, so I don't imagine I'll find myself particularly picky when it comes to sound quality. Ideally I'd like to build something with <0.1% THD at 50W with at least 105 dB SNR, and I'd like to build something that beats the Dayton APA150 in price for parts, ignoring time engagement, since that's part of the fun, after all!

Hit me with your best suggestions, I'm all ears

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Apex FH9 is easy peasy and sounds great. At least a dozen people have made it and all love the sound and parts count is very low.

100W Ultimate Fidelity Amplifier

BOM are in this directory thread:
A Directory of Apex Audio Amplifiers

Gerbers:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...imate-fidelity-amplifier-746.html#post4718255

550020d1463581717-100w-ultimate-fidelity-amplifier-apex-fh9-png

You will need a dual rail PSU and that’s the hardest part of a DIY amp. Fortunately, you don’t have to use a big transformer and rectifier with mains anymore. Use two 5amp 24v smps bricks and some DC step up boards to create +/-35v. Connect the outputs of the two DC-DC step ups in series and you have it without touching 120vAC.

Last edited:
XRK, I was wondering about that amp as I had come across it while reading through your KaZba thread, that's actually what made me think about building my own in the first place. Is there a bill of materials available for it so that I can see exactly what's involved? And also, where do you recommend sourcing components? I'm sure that's information in the thread, but forgive me for not wanting to dig through 1000 pages to find it...

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The BOM is linked in above post. You can get all the parts from Mouser.com. They charge for shipping about $7 but you get it right away and parts are good quality. You can order from Aliexpress and have enough parts to make 10 more amps for same price but will take 3 weeks or more for delivery and some parts are questionable quality. However, I have built many good sounding amps with cheap Aliexpress parts.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Just build the HV version and increase your PSU voltage for 125w no bridging. Change out some caps and signal transistors (hardly any cost upper). Go to +/-53v PSU and you can find inexpensive dual rail SMPS to do this. Search thread for FH9HV.

I am not a fan of bridged amps if you can simple make it bigger with parts changes.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.