Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Arcam A85/90 fit for purpose?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th June 2018, 02:29 AM   #11
jaycee is offline jaycee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I guess then it is the problem RM mentioned - with a bad connection to the microcontroller/display board, neither the analogue switching muxes nor the volume control IC would get any commands, resulting in silence.

I guess if you can replace a flatflex connector, its an easy fix
Old 20th June 2018, 06:35 AM   #12
Ian Finch is offline Ian Finch  Australia
diyAudio Member

It's an unusual type of fault that you could waste a lot of time looking for. If it was common in that model, we could expect Arcam to be aware and to have responded with at least a service notice and an offer or recommendations for a replacement part.

Last edited by Ian Finch; 20th June 2018 at 06:40 AM.
Old 20th June 2018, 10:37 AM   #13
friendly1uk is offline friendly1uk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Arcam stick their hand out for 200. If it's fixed with a big finger, that's disgusting behavior.
Old 21st June 2018, 02:00 AM   #14
Ian Finch is offline Ian Finch  Australia
diyAudio Member

Not quite. I understand that like a number of UK manufacturers now, Arcam simply don't do repairs as that undermines service agreements and they would have to employ repair techs. They just do a factory refurb by fitting a complete and working new board, often a later version if that's all they have. For example, before I bought it, Cyrus repaired what was a Cyrus 5 amplifier by effectively turning it into a Cyrus 6 and that's what I have now, with new paint finish, remote control and all but the cost? Well, I understood it was considerably more than Arcam are asking and that was 7 years ago. Hence the sale.
Old 21st June 2018, 03:17 AM   #15
Bare is offline Bare  Canada
diyAudio Member

IMO Arcam is a Joke. Doesn't deserve to be purchased.. let alone listened to
Owned since '96 much to my shame.
Their service Is a sparse network of iffy little shops who consented to patch Arcam gear for an erm.. Reduced cost.. to the factory.
Having had to deal with this lovely scenario it took the local small time inept "Authourized Arcam Repair Centre" 4 !! separate attempts and $200 to patch My Arcam.
It was a (1) failed diode . Imagine just how pleased I was.
Incidental to this repair fiasco.. my Arcam was shortly after.... totally outclassed/performed by a whim buy ~100$ (albeit "murican") Lm 3886 Amp gizmo.
Couldn't believe the sheer audio improvement differences .
Acoustic Research ? My Butt.

Last edited by Bare; 21st June 2018 at 03:22 AM.
Old 21st June 2018, 12:32 PM   #16
friendly1uk is offline friendly1uk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Acoustic Research were a 'murican' company.

AR Cambridge, Massachusetts. Speakers.
A&R Cambridge, UK. Electronics.

Very easy to think of them as related, but I can't find a connection.

I'm guessing your amp was an A&R, and that would make it very dated. I have spent time with one and agree it's easy to beat, and that was in the 90s. When it already looked dated.

Hello Ian. I understand the board swapping thing. I've been forced to do this many times. Knowing I could fix the board with less bother and enjoy doing so. I cringe thinking they wound swap a board in this instance though. I'm tempted to pick up one of the broken ones just to have a look. In fact... I'm bidding but it's early days.
Old 21st June 2018, 02:32 PM   #17
jaycee is offline jaycee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Arcam is now part of the Harman Group, which in itself is part of Samsung

Arcam A85/90 fit for purpose?Hide this!Advertise here!