USSA-5 Build with Review

Hello All:

I am up to section 8.17.1 , Adjust output MOSFET current close to intended final bias.
Everything has measured fine up to this step. When I apply power, TP4/V- and TP2/V+ read 0.00 volts, and the offset at output is about 0.5 volts. The MOSFETS are not getting warm. I get the same readings on both boards, so I believe parts are installed correctly.

Should I proceed to increase/decrease P1/P2 to turn on MOSFETS?

Steve

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi
If all previous steps measured fine then it is normal to get 0 volts before adjustments if the vgs off of the mosfet are on the high side (red color band for example). Therefore you can proceed to adjust P1/P2 to get output bias while keeping DC offset close to 0 (<50mv until final bias). At final bias you can tweak dc offset to < 5mv once température is stabilized.
Fab

Thanks Fab. Will post VGS calcs for confirmation soon.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    661 KB · Views: 531
nice build :) cannot wait to start mine, got all the parts hopefully will start putting it together this weekend :)
BTW, my lateral mosfets from Profusion do not have any color code on them :spin:

Attachments

• _DSC69432.jpg
    _DSC69432.jpg
    923.2 KB · Views: 501
Last edited:
I don't use any of those better matched version and the amp is incredible! Fear not my friend!

My ussa-5 and USSA-3 amps use Alfet mosfet without selected grades. Same for other builders too.
Fab

My USSA-5 has allfets without special grade and it's the best!
I planned to make a USSA-3 and I bought EXICON without grade (color) and I have no problem because I'm not sure that a difference in listening can be heard.
In short, your mosfets are perfect.

;)

ok cool then , I was almost sure that I heard Fab saying that they don't need to be matched but didn't want to mislead anyone in case I was wrong :)

Thanks guys, it is 9PM Saturday here and I still have hope to start putting it together this weekend :cool:

To give you an idea my USSA-5 with 25Wrms full class A (into 8 ohms) has about 300mm x 140mm x 40mm heatsinks (standard vertical fins) for about a little less than 50C (20C ambient).
Smaller heatsink will allow less bias thus less power in class A for the same temperature.
Fab
Are you saying 2x 300mmx140mmx40mm ? So, around a 4U diyaudio store power amp chassis? I have a smaller chassis I was considering using a copper plate running across the interior of each heatsink to perhaps get the amp running cooler in a smaller footprint.

Anyone attempt this kind of thing and can point me in a direction for photos or build info?