Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

USSA-5 Build with Review
USSA-5 Build with Review
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd February 2019, 06:28 PM   #601
maty tinman is offline maty tinman  Spain
diyAudio Member

I am sorry but I do not have it.

That is the problem with a lot of regulator implementations, and more other audio hard!
Old 23rd February 2019, 11:38 PM   #602
ernesternest is online now ernesternest  Europe
diyAudio Member

USSA-5 Build with Review
Default PSU

Thanks Do, Fab, Maty for your input. Maybe I'll check a few out. Fab, which DIYINHK Psu do you use? This one?
0.8uV Ultralow noise DAC power supply regulator +-9/12/15V 1.5A*x2 - DIYINHK
Cheers

Ernst
Old 24th February 2019, 01:53 AM   #603
poseidonsvoice is offline poseidonsvoice  United States
diyAudio Member

USSA-5 Build with Review
Ernst,

I wouldn’t discount the Sigma 22. Understand that it is used in AMB’s own preamp designs and particularly for the input/driver stage of the excellent B24 amplifier that Do has built as well. It’s well designed although better suited for higher currents but under 1A continuous. In addition, the online instructions are excellent.

Other options include:

Jan Didden’s Linear Audio Silent Switcher Mk II (Linear Audio Silent Switcher MkII – diyAudio Store)

AMB’s Sigma 78 and 79 along with their companion CRC boards (The σ78 and σ79 ultra low noise voltage regulators)

LDOVR (http://www.ldovr.com), he participates on the Vendor forum here.

and others...

Other than AMB’s Sigma 22, they are all applications of the Texas Instruments TPS7A series...

Best,
Anand.

Last edited by poseidonsvoice; 24th February 2019 at 01:56 AM.
Old 24th February 2019, 03:47 AM   #604
fab is offline fab  Canada
diyAudio Member

USSA-5 Build with Review
Hi Ernst
Yes I have used the one you indicate fir my USSPA-1 and this one for my USSPA-2:
0.56uV Ultralow noise DAC power supply regulator +-9/12/15V 1.5A*2 - DIYINHK
But I would consider the AMB Sigma22 too and others too.

Fab
Old 24th February 2019, 08:08 AM   #605
tomtest is offline tomtest  Germany
diyAudio Member

USSA-5 Build with Review
Quote:
Originally Posted by poseidonsvoice View Post
Ernst,

I wouldn’t discount the Sigma 22. Understand that it is used in AMB’s own preamp designs and particularly for the input/driver stage of the excellent B24 amplifier that Do has built as well. It’s well designed although better suited for higher currents but under 1A continuous. In addition, the online instructions are excellent.

Other options include:

Jan Didden’s Linear Audio Silent Switcher Mk II (Linear Audio Silent Switcher MkII – diyAudio Store)

AMB’s Sigma 78 and 79 along with their companion CRC boards (The σ78 and σ79 ultra low noise voltage regulators)

and others...

Other than AMB’s Sigma 22, they are all applications of the Texas Instruments TPS7A series...

Best,
Anand.
Hi Anand,

I think the Linear Audio Silent Switcher Mk II from Jan Didden is a really interesting device, but I'm afraid it is not strong enough.
“Primary output: Your choice of ±15V, ±12V, ±8V or ±5V at 150ma. Jan has posted some notes detailing how ±18V (at 100ma) and ±24V (at 50ma) are also possible if you add your own resistors. ”

And Fabs suggestion is:
“Power supply requirements (for 2 channels) Well regulated Voltage: +/- 12v to +/- 15vdc (with heatsink shown). Use very good PSU here since PSRR of CFA topology is not that good. Current: >= 1A to be on the safe side. ”

So if I interpret it correctly, we should use a power supply which could deliver more then 500mA for each channel (dual mono).

Greetings,
André
Old 24th February 2019, 08:59 AM   #606
diyAudio Member

Other options, with a graph, are the regulators made/sell by Aleksandar (ATL Audio). Two PCB or assembled and tested. From Bulgary (EU).

Modified Sulzer Regulator – assembled and tested | ATL Audio Ltd.

ATL-Hifi Sulzer modified regulator

Click the image to open in full size.

ATL-Hifi Sulzer 15V 375mA OP37 graph

Click the image to open in full size.

[Big IMG, link] http://maty.galeon.com/WP-imagenes/h...OP37-graph.jpg

Quote:
On the picture below can be seen Regulator’s measured performance with output voltage 15V, 40 Ohm load (375 mA load current)

For the tests was used a 35VA toroidal transformer with two secondary windings; soundcard used – E-MU 0404.

The regulator is offered with the following standard output voltages: 9V, 12V, 15V, 18V, 24V.

Last edited by maty tinman; 24th February 2019 at 09:02 AM.
Old 24th February 2019, 09:02 AM   #607
tomtest is offline tomtest  Germany
diyAudio Member

USSA-5 Build with Review
Quote:
Originally Posted by poseidonsvoice View Post
Ernst,

Other options include:

and others...

Best,
Anand.
Hi Anand,

I think the Linear Audio Silent Switcher Mk II from Jan Didden is a really interesting device, but I'm afraid it is not strong enough.
“Primary output: Your choice of ±15V, ±12V, ±8V or ±5V at 150ma. Jan has posted some notes detailing how ±18V (at 100ma) and ±24V (at 50ma) are also possible if you add your own resistors. ”

And Fabs suggestion is:
“Power supply requirements (for 2 channels) Well regulated Voltage: +/- 12v to +/- 15vdc (with heatsink shown). Use very good PSU here since PSRR of CFA topology is not that good. Current: >= 1A to be on the safe side. ”

So if I interpret it correctly, we should use a power supply which could deliver more then 500mA for each channel (dual mono).

Greetings,
André
Old 24th February 2019, 09:21 AM   #608
diyAudio Member

New thread from xrk971 here.

GB for Simple Cap-Mx Regulated Low-Noise PSU
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 300E2B25-3CF2-43C2-9C2E-E15DC175765C.jpg (159.5 KB, 168 views)
File Type: png CE39E8CC-8B4A-47BE-8CAF-AD537ED1138A.png (99.6 KB, 168 views)
Old 24th February 2019, 09:22 AM   #609
Project16 is offline Project16  France
diyAudio Member

Hi everybody

I will take some pictures of two power supply that I will try on the USSPA soon, I also drew my layout of the UltraBib by Salas.

If you feel like it, here are some tracks to get the most out of the USSA-5.
More seriously I found some music tracks that I had created a few years ago on FL Studio, it's special but listenable I think.
Project16's profile on Clyp

Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_3569.JPG (99.1 KB, 272 views)
Old 24th February 2019, 11:38 AM   #610
poseidonsvoice is offline poseidonsvoice  United States
diyAudio Member

USSA-5 Build with Review
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtest View Post
Hi Anand,

And Fabs suggestion is:

Greetings,
André
Andre,

Thanks. I guess the one question to Fab really is what the actual current draw of the USSPA circuit really is? It's understood that most CFA circuits have poorer PSSR than VFA circuits. It seems his advice is a suggestion, but the actual current draw seems to be an unknown?

That being said, there seems to be loads of options on the market for the diy'er. I particularly like XRK's simple cap-mx design as it is measured and documented.

Have fun!

Best,
Anand.

Last edited by poseidonsvoice; 24th February 2019 at 11:41 AM.

USSA-5 Build with ReviewHide this!Advertise here!