Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

USSA-5 Build with Review
USSA-5 Build with Review
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2020, 04:44 AM   #1241
manniraj is online now manniraj  India
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggetzoff View Post
Correct. You are creating a loop between the two separate supplies by tying the two protection boards together with the one supply. The protection and amp supplies on one channel need to be star grounded together, and separated from the other channel's star and supply grounds: each channel totally separated.

Cheers,

Greg
Thanks Greg, I think I will continue to use a single stereo protection module till I get my mono bloc cabinets ready where I can use the mono protection module.
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2020, 05:02 AM   #1242
AnthonyA is offline AnthonyA
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
The concept is.. One single ground point to main ground... So make sure they meet at single point..multiple point = ground loop

You can also use the CT at the diode.. Joint together using 10r risistor bypass 0.1 on each side to chassis ground... The rest don't joint
That way its ground broken both side at single point. Easiest way
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2020, 05:21 AM   #1243
manniraj is online now manniraj  India
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyA View Post
The concept is.. One single ground point to main ground... So make sure they meet at single point..multiple point = ground loop

You can also use the CT at the diode.. Joint together using 10r risistor bypass 0.1 on each side to chassis ground... The rest don't joint
That way its ground broken both side at single point. Easiest way
But the issue is that I am not using the ground points of either inputs/outputs on the protection board at all. Only the signal speaker inputs from the amp boards to the speaker input of protection module and then outputs from module to the speaker binding posts. The grounds of the speaker binding posts are connected directly from each of the PSU grounds and not from the protection module. So I am not sure how the ground loops come in this scenario of when the protection module grounds are not being used at all.

Thanks
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2020, 07:08 AM   #1244
AnthonyA is offline AnthonyA
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
No need.. Just joint direct to speaker protection and out to post

Rca joint to rca direct

That's it..


The ground joint at CT using 10 r {5w}to chasis.. Then ground from main power supply to chasis. Takes care of everything

One ground point means that you only need one..

And you can break the ground...

It's same.. For rjm but they do it at signal rca to chasis using 10r .. No more. At the phono side
. Power supply side then ct to chasis ground using 10r method
. 2 box but they are grounded.. Floating but still 1 pt

Single point = no ground loop
Wherever u like it.. And that single point can use a ground break
.. Normally that's already quite bullet proof

Last edited by AnthonyA; 26th March 2020 at 07:14 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2020, 07:25 AM   #1245
AnthonyA is offline AnthonyA
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
CT means.. At the beginning just after the diode.. Or diodes where the CT of the first set of power supply capacitor is.. That we called dirty ground .. Pull out a thick cable 12 to 16awg .. Use the 10r 5w bypass 0.1uf.both side for mono so u need 2 sets . Joint them to a chasis where the ground from ac main power supply is.. Crimp Solder them to a ring.. And bolt it.. Neat and nice.

Clean ground is output {the other end} of the slb or crc... You take from there to the circuit board..their ground will go to speaker protection then to to speakers output.. Pcb straight to rca ground.. No need extra



Hope it's crystal clear
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2020, 01:10 PM   #1246
manniraj is online now manniraj  India
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyA View Post
CT means.. At the beginning just after the diode.. Or diodes where the CT of the first set of power supply capacitor is.. That we called dirty ground .. Pull out a thick cable 12 to 16awg .. Use the 10r 5w bypass 0.1uf.both side for mono so u need 2 sets . Joint them to a chasis where the ground from ac main power supply is.. Crimp Solder them to a ring.. And bolt it.. Neat and nice.

Clean ground is output {the other end} of the slb or crc... You take from there to the circuit board..their ground will go to speaker protection then to to speakers output.. Pcb straight to rca ground.. No need extra

Hope it's crystal clear
Thanks Anthony, understood but just another query on the high lighted part of where should I connect this cable of 12or16 awg cable with the resistor bypassed with a 0.1uf cap on the mono protection modules? On each of the mono protection module I have 1 input and 1 output ground for each channel. This at present I have not connected to the anything.

So do you mean to make this clean input/output grounds from the protection module connection to the dirty side of the IEC ground and the chassis as the star ground?
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2020, 02:00 PM   #1247
AnthonyA is offline AnthonyA
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Do not need that on the protection module.. It's just to sense offset and open close relay. The ground of the speaker does not connect to the module usually.. It's floating

Ac in right from transformer to protection module ? That's it..
Edit: saw ur pics
Your using upcxxxx with a separate transformer as I can see ..leave it as it is

Last edited by AnthonyA; 26th March 2020 at 02:17 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2020, 02:29 PM   #1248
manniraj is online now manniraj  India
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Ok thank you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2020, 02:31 PM   #1249
Bfpca is offline Bfpca  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Bfpca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Nova Scotia
USSA-5 Build with Review
I got the USSA5 running on a set of PI Speakers 3 that I built a few years ago. They are 95 DB 8 ohm loads. The USSA 5 played them as loud as I could stand with nice tight bass. I set up a second system to run the amp in. Initially I used a Emotiva DC1 dac as a preamp and a Rotel CD player with coax spdif to the emotiva. It sounded pretty bad, especially when everything was cold. I switched to my usual front end of a DDDAC 1794 and a First Watt BBA3 balanced preamp. Much better! This system is just to get some hours on the amp and make sure itís stable, no offset problems etc. Offset doesnít move more than about 1mv from cold to hot, which is much better than my First Watt F5V3 amplifiers which start at about 50mv and then slowly drop to <5mv over a period of 20 minutes or so.
Hereís a couple of pictures of the amp in itís rough DIY enclosure. I still need to fine tune the grounding. I get about .3mv of hum which is just barely audible on the 95db PI 3.

Last edited by Bfpca; 26th March 2020 at 02:33 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2020, 02:40 PM   #1250
ggetzoff is offline ggetzoff  United States
diyAudio Member
 
ggetzoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Southwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfpca View Post
I got the USSA5 running on a set of PI Speakers 3 that I built a few years ago. They are 95 DB 8 ohm loads. The USSA 5 played them as loud as I could stand with nice tight bass. I set up a second system to run the amp in. Initially I used a Emotiva DC1 dac as a preamp and a Rotel CD player with coax spdif to the emotiva. It sounded pretty bad, especially when everything was cold. I switched to my usual front end of a DDDAC 1794 and a First Watt BBA3 balanced preamp. Much better! This system is just to get some hours on the amp and make sure itís stable, no offset problems etc. Offset doesnít move more than about 1mv from cold to hot, which is much better than my First Watt F5V3 amplifiers which start at about 50mv and then slowly drop to <5mv over a period of 20 minutes or so.
Hereís a couple of pictures of the amp in itís rough DIY enclosure. I still need to fine tune the grounding. I get about .3mv of hum which is just barely audible on the 95db PI 3.
Great, excellent work! The amp takes a good 100 hours and also it doesn't really sound it's best until its been on for good hour.

Cheers,

Greg
__________________
Airline Pilot-If it's not Boeing I'm not going.
Aleph J, DCB1, VHEX + USSA-5, BA-3 Pre, DCG3, USSPA, Transcendent Sound Masterpiece (sold) TDA1541A D3 with Abbas I/V
  Reply With Quote

Reply


USSA-5 Build with ReviewHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Odd Watt Audio Alpha Build and initial review cgnman59 Tubes / Valves 8 24th February 2020 03:09 PM
SMPS vs LINEAR PS: Let's build up a serious technical review-list Centvrion Power Supplies 18 7th March 2011 04:09 AM
Honest opinion (peer review) about this 4Way before I build it Yoshy Multi-Way 54 16th December 2010 06:37 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:36 PM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 14.29%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2020 diyAudio
Wiki