JLH Mosfet Power amplifier construction thread

Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hello

I have made many of these some years ago .. and have learnt very much by experimenting and seeing what other people have been doing. I thought I would dedicate this thread to some projects that I have in the pipe line for this amplifier. What has triggered this you may ask .. well I had a chance to listen to a couple of units that are still working and in fine fettle, and I was really impressed with the sound quality and the stability of the design and remembered how impressed I was when I first completed my first 2 units in the late 90's ....

so please enjoy and add your comments constructively .. :)

Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
so 1st batch of pictures so we know what version we are talking about

Attachments

• IMG_1130.jpg
    IMG_1130.jpg
    547.9 KB · Views: 2,274
  • IMG_1127.jpg
    IMG_1127.jpg
    640.5 KB · Views: 2,215
  • IMG_1128.jpg
    IMG_1128.jpg
    599.5 KB · Views: 2,120
  • IMG_1129.jpg
    IMG_1129.jpg
    601.2 KB · Views: 2,035
Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Also .. I have decided to make a test bench for the JLH fully regulated power supply that was used. I have used this with the maplin mosfet amplifier just as an example with very great results. You could use this as a stand alone module for other amplifiers and is fully adjustable within reason of course .. so pictures of the test bench as work in progress .. I will update through the construction phase

Attachments

• IMG_1131.jpg
    IMG_1131.jpg
    1,003.8 KB · Views: 1,969
  • IMG_1132.jpg
    IMG_1132.jpg
    984.8 KB · Views: 525
Last edited:
JLH 80W MOSFET

Hi Jamesfeline , I made this amp from a Williams hart kit nearly 20yrs ago. It
was fairly easy to construct, and it sounds smooth and very detailed.I have since learned there is a slight error in the earthing paths on the regulated pcb that has been mentioned on diyaudio forums. Basically it involves cutting a pcb track and connecting a wire link. All the best P M R:)

Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Jamesfeline , I made this amp from a Williams hart kit nearly 20yrs ago. It
was fairly easy to construct, and it sounds smooth and very detailed.I have since learned there is a slight error in the earthing paths on the regulated pcb that has been mentioned on diyaudio forums. Basically it involves cutting a pcb track and connecting a wire link. All the best P M R:)

Hello .. yes seen that thanks, many thanks for the info

Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
so, the boards shown in post 2 are your reproductions of the originals?

Hello ... these are the originals, but will make some gerber files later ;)

I purchased a full batch of PCB's from william Hart kits when they were still trading many years ago .. purchased all they had at the time

also I had permission from William Hart & JLH to make commercial units ( I have this in writing signed) but obviously never pursued this option

Last edited:
Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
hello

The mains supply has been completed and the transformer mounted (50v secondary's)
I also made a small PCB to make the main supply distribution easier to connect all the bit and bobs like mains filter / mains neon etc etc.
also one common earth point mounted on the main chassis

Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
pictures .... in small batches as the server seems very slow

Attachments

• IMG_1144.jpg
    IMG_1144.jpg
    569.7 KB · Views: 943
  • IMG_1145.jpg
    IMG_1145.jpg
    577.5 KB · Views: 867
  • IMG_1146.jpg
    IMG_1146.jpg
    650 KB · Views: 842
  • IMG_1147.jpg
    IMG_1147.jpg
    798.5 KB · Views: 850
  • IMG_1151.jpg
    IMG_1151.jpg
    481.3 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_1148.jpg
    IMG_1148.jpg
    853.3 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_1150.jpg
    IMG_1150.jpg
    708.4 KB · Views: 816
Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hello

I have mounted the power transistors (mosfets) found a couple in my workshop doing nothing .. rare 2SK176 etc .
I was not happy with the sockets for these so modded a different way that I am happy with .. this way I can easily disconnect for replacement and modding

Attachments

• IMG_1178.jpg
    IMG_1178.jpg
    579 KB · Views: 381
  • IMG_1179.jpg
    IMG_1179.jpg
    801.7 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_1180.jpg
    IMG_1180.jpg
    436.8 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_1181.jpg
    IMG_1181.jpg
    423.8 KB · Views: 332
That's a nice solution. But dosent go with the boards design stylistically. Would look much better visually if you had pertinax main boards ... or a full-on eyelet P2P build (not realistic I guess).

But I could see it work with the 1969 4-transistor amp if done all-P2P.

Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
That's a nice solution. But dosent go with the boards design stylistically. Would look much better visually if you had pertinax main boards ... or a full-on eyelet P2P build (not realistic I guess).

But I could see it work with the 1969 4-transistor amp if done all-P2P.

hello ..

remember this is only for the power supply board not the power amplifier, I will post a separate pic once the power amplifier is completed

thanks for the comments .. also was thinking of doing P2P version, but might try a simpler design 1st

regards

Last edited:
Bespoke Constructor
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hello

some more work complete ... more components installed and a couple of power supply transistors fitted and a trial fitment of the power supply capacitors ..

so just work in progress .. plus I have decided to use some filament lamps/bulbs as dummy loads as they are 5 w each

pictures attached in another post as the server is very slow