nad c372 repair (2018)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi diyAudio community,

I stupidly split beer onto my amp recently and saw smoke coming up from the L Channel Amp Board (v5) from my awesome NAD C372. I am quite handy with a soldering iron, so I have taken it upon myself to fix any blown components.

A couple of questions for the community:

1- should I be testing the transistors in-circuit or out of circuit?
2- forward-bias diode tests seem fine on the board, however negative-bias tests all fail when diodes are in circuit - is this normal? when out of circuit, both forward and negative bias tests are fine.
3- any idea on where to start debugging the board? maybe follow the V+ (on CZ302) pcb lanes to their attached components? or start from the main +V64 input?
4- Standby power works fine on the amp, but any attempt to get it out of standby power causes the main relay to engage and immediately disengage. If i unplug the main +/-V64 line to the amp board, the amp is able to power out of stanby mode into normal operating mode

the service endpoints on the board (TP303 <-> TP304) is running at about +/- 30mV instead of ~0mV so i am assuming that there is a shorted component on the board somewheres.

lastly - i see some burning around some components directly connected to the UPC1237 Amplifier Protection IC unit - replacement parts coming in soon and hopefully it wont blow up again with the new parts soldered in.

Any help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this is my first time trying to fix such a complex board.

ps - i have a new IC (TL082CP), caps and transistors coming in for the board - hopefully this will help

Attachments

• IMG_20180318_185217.jpg
    IMG_20180318_185217.jpg
    987.9 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_20180318_185815.jpg
    IMG_20180318_185815.jpg
    992.2 KB · Views: 299
Hi diyAudio community,

I stupidly split beer onto my amp recently and saw smoke coming up from the L Channel Amp Board (v5) from my awesome NAD C372. I am quite handy with a soldering iron, so I have taken it upon myself to fix any blown components.

**I just happen to be rebuilding one of these units at the moment, so I'll shed what light I can on the subject...knowing this thread is a month old already. :) I also strongly recommend building a DBT (dim-bulb tester) if you don't already have one. If you're not sure what a DBT is, do a Google search and you'll have access to a ton of info.
--

A couple of questions for the community:

1- should I be testing the transistors in-circuit or out of circuit?

**Good luck testing them in-situ because NAD assemblers apparently dislike lead inductance and there's hardly any lead available to safely check voltages in-circuit. Better pull'em and run a diode test on them with a DMM.

P.S. -- heads up, because the traces are very fragile!
--

2- forward-bias diode tests seem fine on the board, however negative-bias tests all fail when diodes are in circuit - is this normal? when out of circuit, both forward and negative bias tests are fine.

**Out of circuit will give you a pretty good idea of their integrity.
--

3- any idea on where to start debugging the board? maybe follow the V+ (on CZ302) pcb lanes to their attached components? or start from the main +V64 input?

**This would be a viable strategy if the NAD service manual listed voltages at various points, but it doesn't. Are you sure the smoke came from the L amp board and not the mainboard?
--

4- Standby power works fine on the amp, but any attempt to get it out of standby power causes the main relay to engage and immediately disengage. If i unplug the main +/-V64 line to the amp board, the amp is able to power out of stanby mode into normal operating mode

the service endpoints on the board (TP303 <-> TP304) is running at about +/- 30mV instead of ~0mV so i am assuming that there is a shorted component on the board somewheres.

lastly - i see some burning around some components directly connected to the UPC1237 Amplifier Protection IC unit - replacement parts coming in soon and hopefully it wont blow up again with the new parts soldered in.

**+/- 30mV is within spec. What DC do you have at the speaker terminals and are you able to adjust the DC offset at VR303? Check the voltages at the CZ302 & CZ402 (R CH) connectors coming off the mainboard and compare. If they're the same, chances are your issue is isolated to the amp board.
--

Any help / suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this is my first time trying to fix such a complex board.

ps - i have a new IC (TL082CP), caps and transistors coming in for the board - hopefully this will help

**It's too late now, but the TL072 will drop right in and is lower noise...not a big deal though.

Now...I have a question for you if you still have the unit torn down. Can you please tell me what's in R401 on the R CH? The schematic calls for a 470 ohm resistor, but I had a jumper there. R301 on the L CH was populated with a 470 ohm resistor. These I believe are assembled in China...perhaps a mistake by an assembler. Thx.

Just an update to my own question...I have the V4 board and it has a resistor slot, R250, for the R CH at the mainboard preamp output, which is not shown on the schematic. So the power amp board input resistor, normally at R401, was instead soldered on the mainboard @ R250 and a jumper was placed in R401. As one can see by the image, I've relocated the resistor to the amp board and jumpered R250.

372-1.jpg

Just an update to my own question...I have the V4 board and it has a resistor slot, R250, for the R CH at the mainboard preamp output, which is not shown on the schematic. So the power amp board input resistor, normally at R401, was instead soldered on the mainboard @ R250 and a jumper was placed in R401. As one can see by the image, I've relocated the resistor to the amp board and jumpered R250.

372-1.jpg

Hey Rjsalvi,

I just back around to this restoration project this weekend :p after almost a 1-year hiatus because of life :p

Let me know if there's anything you want me to compare with - because I will continue the restoration project.

Thanks for the information and suggestions above, I will keep at it and build a dim-bulb tester. I just replaced all the electrolytic caps on the L Channel Amp Board, and I'm going component-by-component to discover anything fried. A long process...

Raj

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.