Sony receiver clicking

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I purchased a Sony receiver DA3500ES on CL. Circa 2010. Worked fine until...

it has a physical on/off switch that you can leave on (standby?) and work off remote. I had left it in standby for a couple days. While in standby, it spontaneously started clicking. I can turn off the physical switch, and when turned back on it starts clicking. I tried the various button combinations from the manual for clearing, but no good. It doesn't make it far on enough on startup to display anything... just starts clicking. I removed speakers and components in case of a short. No good. I removed the top, and the clicking is in the area of the power cord entry to the inside. Without taking apart, I did not see any blown fuses, brown boards, or leaking components.

I read everything available, even for other manufacturers. People talk about a main power relay and capacitors. I'll admit I'm trying to fake my way through in order to get value from the unit. I don't want to electrocute myself, but it seems like it should be one discreet problem that would turn it around.

Unfortunately you will have to pin point the noise.
There are a number of power supplies and the standby power supply delivers 5volts to the control chip from a small transformer, some times two small transformers depending upon model number suffix.
If safe to do so, use a plastic rod, one end against your ear and the other touching transformers and components as you get closer to the noise. That will pinpoint the component that is noisy.

Thank you for your response. I checked your web and I like "Repair Don't Replace!" Which is what I'm trying to do.

I took your advice and tried to isolate the sound. BTW, the sound is like when you turn on a receiver and it goes through its process, and clicks from one thing to another before it goes live. Except it is clicking continuously. About double speed of a 1970 turn signal.

It's exactly where you talked about. I believe the small board directly behind the power cord is the source of clicking. Coming into the board is a black/white AC inlet connector. Going out is a brown/white to the big supply.

I don't know if it was dangerous, but I put my finger on various spots and from vibration I will bet on a small black rectangle that looks like a miniature Kaaba. Markings on it: "Type DH1U" "5VDC" "TV-8" "15A/120A 250V" "DEC 981"

If you recognize what I'm talking about, is it possible to replace it? To cover all bets, do I replace the major components on the board? Replace the whole board?

I realize you're imagining this in your mind's eye from 8 time zones. Thanks again.

I watched a YouTube video where a guy was fixing an old Sony receiver. So... now I know this little black rectangle is a relay. Mine is relaying (?) like crazy.

My question is: does a relay click continuously because the relay is bad, or because it's getting bad data from downstream causing it to go crazy?

Or, do I not get to know that unless I know what I'm doing and test the juice going through each component.

Most likely that whatever is driving the relay is confused. This will be an auxiliary power supply and the remote control receiver.

Some modern equipment uses a capacitive dropper instead of a transformer for low current supplies. I don't know if this is the case for your item. Anyway, the capacitor (which must be X-rated for continuous mains voltage use) will reduce in value over some years and then may drop too much voltage so the auxiliary circuit stops working correctly. You need to find a circuit diagram.

Clicking relay on Sony receiver's standby board

DF96:
Thank you for your reply and expertise. You noted a capacitor that might have degraded over time. I have the service manual, and have attached the two pages that describe Sony's standby board.

I'm sorry to say that I can't interpret to know which capacitor is in play.

Attachments

• Sony_DA3500ES_Standby_Board.pdf
    69.2 KB · Views: 310
Joined 2010
Paid Member
You can't fix much without some knowledge of how the circuits work and getting your head around them could take a lot more time and expense than just having the job done right. If you are not confident in your knowledge of AV electronics, your abilities and awareness of the mains voltages in this area of the receiver, it's probably the right time to visit to a professional repairer.

Next time, with a little experience and study under your belt, you may be able to sort out the issues with a little help and some suggestions here.

Its unlikely the relay itself is faulty, it is more likely that the standby power supply (which is on all of the time) has a problem

TBH with no electronics experience, I would not recommend you attempt to do anything. This involves mains power and theres a high risk of electrocution if you dont know what youre doing

Sony STR DB1070 loud clicking noise repair

Hi, for posterity my Sony STR DB107 was making some very loud clicking noise coming from some of the speakers, using it to actively drive 2, 3 way speakers with DCX2496, when first turned on. Found that banging on the top would make the nasty loud noise. re-flowed all the big blue relay contacts and coil drive circuit on the SP board, and the nasty clicks seem to have gone now touch wood. Strange fault.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.